ceramic tile backing?

My son & his wife recently bought an older home (1916) that needs quite a bit of work. Among other things, he's gutted one of the bathrooms down to the wall studs. They want ceramic tile around the tub area, but paint and/or wallpaper in the remainder of the room. Do I assume correctly that "wonderboard", or cement board, or hardibacker, etc., is the best thing to put on the studs around the tub area? And if so, do you nail or screw it into place?

Another question- How far down do you bring the backer board to the tub? Does it overlap the tub flange? If it does, I guess I'd have to fir it out

1/8" or so, to allow for the flange thickness?

Thanks!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve L

Yes, good assumption for any wet environment, and I'd use Liquid Nails and screws for attachment.

Preferably.

Kinda depends on how large the proposed tile is. If it's fairly small (

Reply to
Mark