Floor for above ground pool (under liner)

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife are getting a new above ground pool put in, and the installer has three bottoms he can use, a sand base, something called "Happy Bottom", and something they're calling a crate bottom, which they said would be mixed like cement to go under the liner.

Of course the crate bottom is the best since it's a solid barrier, but the price is about $500 over $200 for the other two options.

Can someone shead some light on any issues with the Happy Bottom option? This is the one I decided to go with, but anyone have experience with any of these? They said the crate bottom (or whatever it's called) is good for stopping animals from coming up from underground, but we don't have a problem really with animals like this in my area.

This new pool is replacing an aging pool left by the prior owner of my house, and the old pool still had what's left of the sand bottom. I plan on using this sand, but with the pool being basically outta comission for so long grass has started growing in the sand. Is there anything I can mix in with the sand, maybe a non-liquid weed killer I can mix into the sand to kill this grass? We're getting the pool put in in two weeks, so just checking.

Thanks for any insight in this... I'm trying to cover all my bases since it seems both the pool company I bought the pool from plus the installer are assuming lots of things I have zero clue about.

Also just a side note, the pool is a 24' Sand Dollar II Doughboy pool. Comments on this?

Thanks -

Sam

Reply to
Sam Alexander

I wasn't aware they ever used anything but sand.

I didn't think I had an animal issue either. I forgot that every 13 years we have a Periodic Cicada invasion. Actually, they invade from underground. Right thru my liner. Well, they didn't get thru, but they made plenty of tiny holes.

Wish my installer knew about something other than sand.

If you want to go with sand, just rake or pull the grass out. It won't grow after the liner is installed.

You'll learn a lot about all kinds of things pool related.

I just installed a replacement liner a few years ago, it's not that hard.

Ours is 24' Esther Williams we bought new.

Go for the best pool you can afford.

Reply to
Dan Espen