front load washer for 2nd floor?

Hi...

Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new one. We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they vibrate a lot.

A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

ing for a new

be more concerned that any washing machine on a upper floor can malfunction and cause a flood. the front loaders spin faster and can cause vibration, but water cascading thru your home can be much mucjh worse and making a claim on homeowners insurance can permanetely up your rates.........

add a waher pan with drain and a main solenoid valve so water is only on when washer is running, braided lines are a good idea too.

Reply to
hallerb

oking for a new

we went through this.. brand new house, stick built, seems strong in every way.. washer shook the house badly once it went into spin cycle. Pictures on the walls on the first floor, and light fixtures, were shaking badly.. Sears has a liberal return policy and after 2 service calls we sent it back and bought a top loader.

Reply to
mike_0_007

Remember that an expensive front loader will not last any longer than the less expensive top loader. You will not see much if any savings on your water bill unless water is VERY expensive in your area. You will receive little or no value from a front loader over a top loader unless it makes your wife so excited you get laid----and maybe that is enough value??? Frigidaire front loaders are crap.

cm

Reply to
CM

We have a lg washer. With the spin speed on high it would shake the whole house ! I recently remodeled the laundry room using travertine tile and 1/2" cement board as a base. Thankfully vibrations are no longer a problem . Dave

Reply to
David B.

Just redid a laundry room (moved it upstairs) for a client and installed LG Frontload washer and dryer. I built a riser for the w/d because the homeowner did not want to pay for the LG riser (too much money) and built the riser with an eye toward vibration limitation.

Framed a 2x8 frame set on 1/4" rubber strips (cut these from a rubber cargo mat made for suv trunks). Then loaded the spaces in the riser with cellulose insulation for deadening purposes. Topped off with a 3/4" plywood, then covered with the 1/4" mat, then a pan for the washer (no pan under dryer).

Installed the washer and dryer, paid close attention to balancing and leveling and started them up. In the room directly under the machines you can hear them, but no vibrations. Anywhere else you can neither hear them or feel them.

YMMV

Reply to
Robert Allison

Matt:

When we bought our house, we moved the laundry room to the second floor, just above the family room, and next to the bedrooms, where most of the laundry is generated. We are using a front-loader (Maytag Neptune) and we have had NO problem with vibrations whatever. I did, as Robert did above, build a platform for the pair, insulated it with sound-deadening glass wool, and made sure to include a pan under the washer, connected to a drain. I also made sure I had reinforced inlet water hoses (SS sleeved).

I am (and I was) very much worried about the possibility of a leak than I ever was about vibrations and noise. The machines are designed to have a counterbalanced drum. I don't see how they can be much worse than a top-loader.

Don't get me started on the reliability of the Neptune pair, though.

Pierre

Reply to
pdavid

Mark Modrall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Friends of mine have their front loader on the first floor above the full basement. They have a regular floor. I used the machine while they were on vacation. No vibrations. No flooding. You can always turn off the water supply to the hoses after you're done to cut down on flooding while not using the washer. And stay awake while the washer is being used.

Reply to
Marina

--snip-

Mine was the same. I just did essentially the same thing in my house. The front loader vibrates less than the top loader did.

Quiet--- I guess! I need to look inside the washer to see the clothes move to tell if it is on. I can hear the clothes toss in the dryer if I'm in the laundry room.

The set is Frigidaire, BTW.

My only complaint is that the washer doesn't hold as much as the large capacity top loader we had. But when the Mrs. is happy. . . the whole household is happy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My next door neighbors started an old washer, on their third floor, and then left the house for 11 hours. The drum was rusted out and it tried to fill for 11 hours. Now who starts a washer before going out for 11 hours!?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I used to start my top-loader before I went to work and the clothes might stay in it for 9 hours if I didn't come home for lunch.

My front-loader grows mildew if I leave anything in it, so I only use it when I can empty it pretty much as soon as it finishes, or else I have to wash the same load twice.

I do my laundry in the basement, but I wouldn't like to have water running in it for 11 hours. We've got a washer hose that allegedly detects leaks and will stop the flow. It's never been put to the test.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

The millions of people who go to work in the morning and come back in the evening??

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Agree!

Reply to