blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine

In message , j west +++ writes

or could it be Calgon? Before fitting an ion-exchange water softener I used to find adding Calgon tabs to the drum of our Bosch machine often left lumps of goo at the end.

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Most of the volume of washing powder is a "filler" the actual active ingredients (the surficants) are normally less than 15%. It's this filler that forms the white crumble in your drains. I guess the filler is there to increase the accuracy of doseing the active ingredients for the wash, I can't think of nay other valid reason.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

hi, whilst renewing the bath outlet pipe, i noticed in the drain (used by the washing machine) a very large congealed chunk of white crumbley powdery stuff. i'm pretty sure it is formed from unused washing powder that has passed through our washing machine (AEG oko-lavamat 610). Since it has the same texture and appearance as the lumps you find in the washing powder packet. ie persil colour care. the powder is put in a plastic ball and placed in the machine. but large chunks of stuff in the drain, cannot be right?

anyone any idea what's going on here please?

Reply to
j west +++

I find it hard to believe a lump of washing powder could have survived a journey around the inner drum, through the small gaps between that and the outer drum, past the pump impellor and filter trap, and out the outlet hose.

Otoh, small particles could do so and then coalesce into a larger lump. I prefer to use tablets in the drawer - no measuring or thinking required, which suits thickies like me.

Reply to
John Laird

Another reason for not using perhaps one of the biggest legal cons, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I reckon I'm getting through not much more than half the amount of powder as well. Cue the imminent withdrawal of tablets from supermarket shelves...

Reply to
John Laird

"> Otoh, small particles could do so and then coalesce into a larger lump. I

Agree! We stopped using powder and now use tablets. This has stopped the clogging we used to get in the waste of the machine, and the trap. Clothes also wash better as we no longer end up with half the powder left in the drawer!

Reply to
Doctor D.