Fixing washing machine leak

The AEG Lavamat 610 washing machine has developed a leak from the flexible hose connection to the soap tray.

I've taken it apart and used PTFE tape. This worked on an empty wash so I was quite pleased with myself but after doing a full wash there was water on the floor again this morning, albeit a much smaller amount.

Is there an easy way to make a better seal? The flexible hose is otherwise in good condition and I am reluctant to take it off at the drum as it is hard to get to, it is not leaking there and I can imagine I'll have problems getting it back on. A repair man is likely to end up costing £60+ so I'm reluctant to take that route either.

Many thanks

Reply to
AnthonyL

So this is the water from the soap tray to drum (so no pressure as such)?

Are you sure it's coming from the same place? Have you checked that the water can run from the soap tray into the drum ok (often blocked with soap under there)?

Sometimes you can cut the hose back slightly to get on a 'fresh bit' but a new hose might be the best thing and could be easier to get at once you have say leaned the machine over or maybe removed the pump or motor. What about building up the outlet a touch with something less slippery than PTFE, like self amalgamating or hose repair tape?

An alternative is to cut the pipe in such a way as to get a fresh bit on the fitting then use some suitable pipe fitted inside the existing (and clipped etc) to extend it, to make up for the missing pipe sorta thing?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Stick a jubilee clip on it.

Reply to
Dave Baker

You could try silicone with a sellotape bandage to hold it in place till it cures. It worked for me on a WM flexible waste pipe (much to my surprise)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

if using silicone - thoroughly wash down the parts you want to "glue" with meths first and allow to dry - (to try & remove soap, scum etc)

hope it helps Jim

Reply to
jim

I was staggered by how much crud there was. And this blue "swarfega like" gel which I assume was undissolved fabric conditioner. But I've cleaned all that up.

No, none of that will work. The hose is thick at the end with a recess (groove). The recess fits into the flat hole in the tray. A flanged plastic collar device is then pushed down into the top of the hose to hold everything in place.

Reply to
AnthonyL

If it's not amenable to a hose clip then I'd suggest the following.

1) Clean the tube right the way through to the drum to ensure it isn't a build up of water caused by a blockage lower down. Rod it through with something if you can't completely remove the tube. A coat hanger with one end bent into a tight loop should do it. 2) Clean up the top end and the fitting until all trace of soap or grease is gone and apply a smear of ordinary bathroom or general purpose silicone sealant to the mating surfaces. Reassemble and leave to set for several hours, preferably 24 until the silicone has set properly. If there's no pressure in a fitting then silicone cures just about every leak you'll ever come across.
Reply to
Dave Baker

It's clear.

That sounds promising. Presumably the silicone will retain a bit of flexibility to accommodate the vibration. It will only be a thin smear as everything is a pretty tight fit even now.

Also will the silicone come off if needed? I would only have to get it off the plastic surfaces if the flexible tube was to be replaced.

Cheers

Reply to
AnthonyL