Angle of washing-machine inlet hose?

A washer-dryer manual says the inlet hose should be screwed on so that it points down at about 45° from vertical (either way) but not vertical or horizontal. I'm just curious --- why does that matter?

(As is usual, the hose supplied has a 90° bend just before the screw-on coupling, so the hose has to be parallel to the back of the machine but could "point" in any direction in that plane.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

The inlet hoses of my washing machines have always pretty much pointed straight down. The main hose problem is that the machine has to be pushed back into hole between two cupboards and below a worktop.

I suggest that you ask the manufacturer, and let us know the response.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I couldn't see any rationale either. My only criterion would be minimising strain when in position and during access.

Reply to
newshound

Maybe the angle make the hose less likely to become strained while you're shoving the appliance into the slot?

Reply to
Adam Funk

The usually reason is they do not want the hose to get trapped anywhere or crushed by trying to bend 90 degrees to undo the 90 degrees it would be at if you use sods law and an angle horizontal or vertical. That was what the bloke told me some years ago, but it seems a lame excuse to me. Also why are all machine c cold fill only? I'd have thought a mixer would save poer on internal heaters. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In most houses, the hot water is not instantly available. You need to flush out the cold water before hot reaches the appliance, by which time the machine has got enough water.

Reply to
charles

I run the hot tap while loading the machine ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most modern machines use a tiny amount of water for the actual wash. So would need a means of measuring (and wasting) the water until it ran hot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Machines need to start with a cold wash to remove common staining that an instant hot wash may cook in. The machine already has enough water for the full wash when performing this initial cold wash and doesn't need to top up with any more water.

Reply to
alan_m

If you inject v hot water into the machine you could damage synthetic fabrics.

Reply to
bert

Unless you're washing dishes (or something like that) at the same time, doesn't that mean you're wasting even more water?

Reply to
Adam Funk

That's about all I can come up with as well. Assuming that the supply end of the hose has a straight connector and that the supply pipe also has a straight connector meaning the joint is parallel with the wall.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think, as has been hinted, it is to encourage the pipe to form a circular loop which can be safely pushed close to the wall.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That makes sense.

Next question --- why is the drain hose, which is permanently attached to the machine (unless you open it up) made of such flimsy material?

Reply to
Adam Funk

It has to be flexible. It does not have to be strong because it sees no internal pressure.

Reply to
newshound

I was thinking about it getting easily "crunched" while you're shoving the appliance back into the slot.

Reply to
Adam Funk

All the ones I?ve come across have more than adequate crush resistance. I?d wager you could stand on it without it crushing. Mind you, someone somewhere might make a crushable one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well, I happened to take one out recently and noticed that the outlet hose had been crunched (but was not leaking) --- and the last person to move it out & back into place was a technician.

Reply to
Adam Funk