Plumbing washing machine + hose

I want to use a hose to wash my car. The problem is that I have a mixer tap in the kitchen, and I don't fancy my chances of fitting a hose directly (plus, I'm in a 1st floor flat and would rather avoid hanging weight off the tap).

Is there a such a thing as a T-piece that fits to the washing machine inlet, such that the washing machine stays plumbed in, and giving me a second outlet with its own tap that I can attach a hose to? In other words, I'm thinking of a T-piece that has male and female fittings that would go between the washer's inlet hose and the normal T-piece that's fitted to the cold water pipe.

Reply to
Wally

Not a single fitting that can do that AFAIK, though you can buy 2 or 3 fittings that will do such a thing. A 'Y' connector, for where your washing machine pipe meets the copper pipe, then a short shut off valve, then a hose connector. Around £6 for the lot from Screwfix or other plumbers merchants. Thats assuming you want a 'screw-on' fitting hose pipe. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

You can buy a "clip on" type connector that will screw on to the existing washing machine feed. Then you need to put a short length of pipe and a tap on it. It's similar to a garden tap kit - to give you some idea of what you need. Your local plumbers should give you the bits you need.

Reply to
Rob Farrell

Wally was thinking very hard :

You can get the T adaptors, but a better way would be a garden tap adaptor which fits straight onto the copper pipe. No need to solder, they just clamp around the pipe and make their own hole into the pipe, no need to even turn the water off to do it. Better yet, they have a none return valve which is a legal requirement for such a hose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes. You want a 15mm self cutting tap like this

it around the copper pipe & it cuts its own hole, dead simple. The thread will fit the standard hozelock type fittings
is your fathers brother.............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:18:50 GMT someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

David Hansen

limited knowledge of the subject, hence the self cutting tap is easier & almost idiot proof.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My Mum has a brother called Robert, I assume he also counts in this, as he would still be my uncle Bob!! If not the sexist police are on their way!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Its not technically a gender specific expression; Although commonly atributed to nepotism re Lord Salisbury & his nephew its more likely that it comes from the slang phrase 'all is bob', meaning that everything is safe, pleasant or satisfactory.

Sorry, I love Trivial Pursuit & quiz nights at the pub!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought the phrase was "Bob's your uncle". So it could be Mum or Dads brother

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Oh I see. You are dead right. But the phrase "Robert is possibly one of your parents male siblings" doesn't quite gell, and doesn't go with the flow of "Bob's your Uncle".

I wish I hadn't bothered :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman