Shortening a washing machine inlet hose...

Can anyone tell me a way to shorten a diswasher inlet hose (same as a washing machine inlet hose)? I have one that is about 3m long, but I want it to be less than 1m long.

After I chop 2m out of the hose, I'm wondering if a 3" length of 15mm copper pipe would be a push-fit into the hose (or near-enough so that a couple of jubileee clips could be used to make the joins watertight.

Thanks,

PK

Reply to
Phil K

My recollection is that 15 mm is normally too big and 10 mm too small. These hoses are generally reinforced so won't "stretch" when softened in boiling water in the way garden hose will.

If you can find a suitable undersized coupling tube you can enlarge it by winding pvc electrical tape on it until it is a good fit, then use jubilee clips as you suggest.

If you feel brave, tackle one of the ends to free up the coupler, then push this in the cut down hose and secure with jubilee clip. The risk there is that the end fittings are usually plastic and there is a risk of them breaking either as you disassemble (angle grinder) or when you tighten the jubilee clip.

Because I don't throw anything away I have a collection of hoses off used machines which are usually about 1.5 metres long. IME that's about the minimum you want if you need to pull the machine out while it is connected. Perhaps you can find a local squirrel?

Reply to
newshound

Why should you wan to? just roll a loop behind the machine.

Reply to
F Murtz

Agreed 1 m hose with a 600 mm deep work top doesn't allow the machine to come forward far enough to get access behind.

"losing" 3 m of hose might take up too much room behind the machine stopping it going back properly.

Hoses are cheap enough, couple of quid just buy a a shorter one. It's not worth the faffing about or risk of a joint blowing a part. Machine valves can be a bit vicious and the hydraulic shocks could ease the hose off a flat bit of copper tube.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't even think about it. You'll never produce a join as secure as the crimped ones. Just buy a shorter one, it's not as if they're expensive and they're *vastly* cheaper than dealing with the consequences of a flood.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Last one I did this to (either a Screwfix or Toolstation hose) it was spot on

10mm bore, softened up ok with a dunk in hot water and when lubricated with a dab of washing up liquid it fitted onto a 10mm spigot. Jubilee clip holds it in place.

This isn't used on a washing machine but it regularly copes with a pressure of around 2 bar and water above normal domestic hot water temperatures.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I think most of the time you can get away with bodging a connection for temporary or outdoor use but I certainly wouldn't be happy using a connection like that for a fixed internal appliance, particularly one that uses solenoids for turning the water on and off.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ wrote in news:195907318377767977.697706timdownie2003-nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk@reade r80.eternal-september.org:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I guess I'll probably buy a 1.5m one then (that being the shortest size I've found). Why do I want one that's as short as practically possible? Because the heater in my dishwasher has burned out (just after the warranty expired). So I've connected it to the hot DHW pipe coming from my combi. Now I pay less for heating the water! It's a small 'tabletop' dishwasher that doesn't use much water. I want to reduce the overall pipework length between the machine and the boiler, so that when the DW fills up, the water is as hot as possible, and not 'diluted' with too much cold water that was sitting in the feed pipe.

PK.

Reply to
Phil K

The obvious question is: are you sure the water reaching the DW gets anywhere near up to temperature before it stops filling?

Reply to
Arty Effem

Probably but you won't be heating it to the temp the DW would normally use.

Debateable a small dishwasher isn't going to take much water. Also dishwashers normally heat the water to well above that that would be safe from a tap. I think the OP would be far better off getting and fitting a replacement heater for the dishwasher.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

Why so? If I replaced the heater element, it would cost me, not only to install it, but I would be heating the water with elecricity, which costs more than gas. Furthermore, it wou;d probably burn out again, withing 12 months (as it has done twoce before).

When the DW's heater was working, it seemed to heat the water up way too hot. It used to warp any platic items. That's another reason why I am happier with it the way it is now.

When the DW's heater failed, the DW would keep ending it's cycle as soon as it's sensor determined that the water was not warming up. Now that I am feeding it hottish water from the DHW pipework, it completes its cycle and my dishes are properly cleaned - AND no plastic items get warped!

PK

Reply to
Phil K

That high temperature may have been bad for a few items, but it is the major way in which it kills all the dangerous things lurking on your dirty plates.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Maybe you have a thermostat problem rather than a heater element problem?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Andy Champ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

That may be so, but I think it's an expensive form of overkill. I was washing up with cold water, by hand, for years, and I wasn't worried about it. After all, we have flouride in the water.

PK

Reply to
Phil K

Tim+ wrote in news:1911003502377994454.253749timdownie2003- snipped-for-privacy@reader80.eternal-september.org:

I did wonder about that... but with the current setup, I don;t have to worry about the thermostat or the heater, or the cost of heating the water with electricity.

Thanks,

PK

Reply to
Phil K

Skipping lightly over the misspelling of "fluoride", what on earth does that have to do with the price of fish/ It's the chlorine that kills bugs, and washing up in cold water is disgusting.

Reply to
Huge

And the fluoride that kills us!

(Whilst I am deeply sceptical over the fluoridation of water, especially due to the possible impact on the endocrine system, that was intended as a response with a bit of humour rather than to be taken too literally. I am not of the "fluoride is an industrial waste product therefore will poison us" brigade.)

Reply to
polygonum

[Draws breath. Arms flamethrower. Reads rest of posting.]

So am I, but only because I am politically opposed to mass medication.

Phew.

Reply to
Huge