Bank card lost in washing machine ...

I just suffered a triple whammy. I left a bank card in a shirt pocket when washing a load in our AEG OKO-Lavamat 605 machine.

This seems to have stopped the machine working. I suspect the card has somehow found its way between the two drums.

Is it possible for an amateur to dis-assemble the machine to a sufficient extent to recover the card, or do I need to call in an expert?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I'm not familiar with this machine and you haven't given too many clues to what has happened. If the machine is still full of water it is probable that the card has been broken (it's unlikely to be strong enough to stop the drum turning) and is now jamming the drain pump. Somewher at the bottom of the machine there may be a little hatch allowing access to the sump/filter - check in there - but you may need to empty the machine first by lowering the drain hose into a bucket. TURN THE POWER OFF before playing!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Thanks for your response.

I managed to empty the water, and open the door. I've actually taken out the pump. Hopefully all that is needed is a new pump. It is just that the card - which I saw inside the machine - appears to have disappeared, and it seems rather a coincidence that the machine stopped working shortly after.

I asked at our local AEG store, and the man there said the card could have got between the two drums, though I don't see how.

Anyway, I'll probably try a new pump first.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I've heard of laundering money but this goes beyond it. :-)

There is no way the card will have got between the drum and the outer drum.

Check the clothing.

Reply to
George

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:35:32 +0100, Timothy Murphy mused:

Define 'stopped working'

Inbetween the 2 drums at the front.

Does the old one not work then? Have you tested it?

Reply to
Lurch

Lovely mental image, man goes to bank and endeavours to get washing machine into ATM. LOL

Reply to
Broadback

I think I've just done the same, debit card and notes in Jean's pocket. Only I pulled back the rubber seal a little and something dropped down. On looking round the seal further up, there was a fiver poking out- I've rescued that!. Put towel down and emptied the filter of some furry stuff, small piece of plastic, grape stem couple of gritty pebbles and £2 and £1 coins - bonus Still unsure whether to have a go at heating element as not sure I'd get it back together again!?

Reply to
Noviceatthisstuff

My wallet went through the washing machine - I?d left it in my pocket.

The cards worked in ATMs, and in shops etc ( this was pre contactless) but the signature strip was faded so I requested replacements. The various issuers were fine about it. It seems to be quite a common event.

There were a few notes which survived.

Wallet, which was leather and quite old, was the main casualty.

Reply to
Brian

If its real leather, it tends to be OK some of this reconstituted stuff just falls to bits. As for cards. They are too big to get lost in my machine, only time I did it it was still in the drum, though a bit warped if done on hot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The pump is probably fine. With one of my classes we strip down washing machines. Before Covid a pupil found a gold chain. Over £100s worth. I managed to find the owner.

Reply to
misterroy