Phone line phun

I am trying to diagnose what is wrong with my mother's phone line.

Her 3 cordless phone stopped getting a dial tone.

  1. I discovered it was not the phone company lines.
  2. I ran a temp new wire to the base phone and got it going and disconnected the other cordless phones.
  3. Now the one phone isn't working.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

If your diagnostic efforts are as sketchy as your post, better call your phone company to send somebody out to fix it...

Reply to
Piso Mojado

Post is sketchy but for phone company charge of about $90/hr you could buy new phones, repair wiring etc yourself.

Reply to
Frank

You could, I could--- but the OP would probably have trouble finding his way to the store,,,and would definitely not be able to find his car in the parking lot.

Reply to
Piso Mojado

With all of those details you provided I just can't put it all together to reach a conclusion...

Reply to
George

and he could still have the problem.....

on my box, there is a test port. I plugged my phone into the test port.. worked fine, so telco side ok, right???

Plugged the little jumper back in and my inside lines are dead.

Disconnected all but one, and it's still dead....

long story short, the telco box was actually bad. not making a connection between the little jumper wire and the studs the customer hooks to.

took a bit to convince them of that.. but they finally did come out and hang a new box.

problem gone

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

There are only 2 wires in the phone system in your house that carry a signal. Either you have a break in the lines, a shorted line, or one or more phones are defective.

Unplug all the phones and connect a known good phone to where each phone is. If no dialtone, go the the outside box and see if you get a dial tone there. If so, either the inside wiring is open or shorted. If you have a meter disconnect the outside line and check the house wiring for a short. If not shorted, then you have an open wire.

If you do get a dialtone, hook up each phone one at a time and see if one or more is bad.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Take the phone that is not working outside and plug it into the Telco box. If it works then it is the line to that phone. If it doesn't work, then throw the phone away and get a new one.

Reply to
metspitzer

Thanks Steve, I think you are the sharpest of the ones who replied. (I am not taking the negative repliers personal mayble they are having a bad day. :-)

Since the new wire works, then the phone box probably works though it was replaced after Hurricane Ike because the old line was ripped from the wall by the winds.

I am taking my volt meter to my mom's house tomorrow and will get it figured out and I will post what I found.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Andie-Boi, you really should take the constructive criticisms to heart instead of rationalizing them away and blowing them off. Your ability to express your ideas and seek advice clearly in writing shows considerable room for improvement.

A writing skills improvement course is definitely in order. But on the other hand, you may just be a dumb guy-- in which case any remedial efforts would be a pointless.

Reply to
Piso Mojado

Reread my post. The smiley face means humor and joking around which I use frequently in this newsgroup.

Fred :-)

Reply to
WhiteTea

WhiteTea wrote in news:28a908d5-6c4f-486f-b9e1- snipped-for-privacy@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

This problem looks very familiar to a post a bit back...very similar.

Reply to
Red Green