Two cordless phones on the same line?

Bought a new cordless phone to replace one that's about 10 years old. The old one still works but has a broken antenna and is worn looking. Can both phones be connected to the same line (separate jacks in different rooms) without interference or harm to the new one?

Reply to
al

Yes.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

YOU CAN TRY IT!

Some MAY interfere, it depends on their operating frequency.

Cant do any harm!

Reply to
hallerb

Yep he could try it out as some setup works and some don't. I had 5 different cordless phones in the house at one times but when you pick up one phone it disconnects the other. I now have (four cordless phones) one master station and three slave phones with intercom plus one corded phone and one fax on one line - works great.

Reply to
# Fred #

It should be no problem, unless they's struck of the same frequency. It's just 2 phones.

If you were buying something new, you might prefer one with multiple handsets. I've seen them that come with 3 (expandable to 10). The additional handsets have remote chargers.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

OK, alright, I could, I have and I did! :) No interference at all. Just like I was talking to someone right next door. Which it just so happened I was.

But my waning middle aged memory just seemed to have something I'd read at some point rattling around in there that said to "NEVER" hook up two different cordless phones on the same line. This of course would have been back in the olden days before the appearance of multiple handsets, each with its own speakerphone, downloadable ring tones and color animation. Can't wait to see what comes next...

Reply to
al

I have three (actually 4) cordless phones. One in laundry room, one in the basement and one in the kitchen (with a clone for lack of a better descriptor) in my office. The only (minor) problem is that I can't use both handsets for the base in the kitchen at the same time. I can use two (or three) with seperate base stations at the same just like when they were all hardwired.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hi, If they're on separate frequency like 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz or even older

900MHz all can be mixed. But being single line, one set can be used at a time. If house has wireless network for computers, 2.4GHz will interfere being on same frequency range with 802-11g wireless protocol. One reason I moved to 5.8 GHz FHSS ones. Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm not sure how you are using "one set at a time". I can be on the one in the basement and my wife can be on the one in kitchen and we can both talk to my sister who called from her house. Of course, since they are on one line, I can;t call me brother while my wife talks to my sister.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I have one cordless phone, a 5.8GHz one that accepts up to 10 handsets. It allows up to 3 units to be used at once, just like separate phones. That's a maximum of 2 handsets (the base is a speakerphone).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

always keep at least one old corded phone handy. if you EVER have phone troubles like no dial tone try the corded at the NID, network interface where the phone line enters your home.

most phone troubles are cordless related........

besides having a corded phone is useful in a power outage when most cordless phones quit working........

Reply to
hallerb

Yes. Disconnect the cordless and any other devices (modems, DVRs, etc) too.

I know someone who had trouble with a cordless phone. It was holding onto the line so no other phone would work either.

I have my cordless phone on a UPS (the same one used for my A/V and some network equipment). That just keeps it working a few minutes, but if a power outage occurs while using the cordless there's time to get to a corded phone before getting cut off.

BTW, you won't have this advantage if your ever get phone service over the power lines instead of something separate.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It was true back in the day, but the reason was the base unit & handsets were operating in the same frequency band, if not on the same frequency, causing all kinds of interference with each other.

Reply to
Bob M.