Fridge, cost to run

A few weeks back someone mentioned a faulty fridge freezer where the compressor may be running 100% with an estimated annual cost of around £100.

I have a 20 year old under counter larder fridge that has reached the end of its life. I had an extended break away from home and switched all but the essentials off before going. The router, PVR, phone, fridge and freezer were left on. I came back to an electricity usage higher than expected (smart meter monitoring). The max/min readings from the fridge monitoring were around 8 degrees centigrade apart, so its not regulating temperature that well. For the past 4 days I've had the fridge on a plug in power meter and this has revealed approx 0.9kWh per day with the compressor running for around 70% of the time.

This would be equivalent to an annual cost of around £105. If the compressor was on 100% the annual cost would be £150.

A new fridge will be delivered early next week.

Finding a suitable fridge of 0.5m width to fit in the existing space was a bit of a problem as most models are now 0.55m to 0.6m wide, or the few at 0.47m are so shallow that they are very limited for internal space.

In the end I found a Liebherr T1400 model which is slightly taller and deeper than my existing fridge but will fit in the space available.

Reply to
alan_m

I had a Liebherr F/F which became faulty just short of 4 years after purchase. This was well outside the guarantee period, but Liebherr offered a 60% discount on a replacement F/F and a free extended guarantee period. I've had the replacement now for 6 years without problem.

Although Liebherr's goods aren't cheap, I would recommend them as, if there is a problem, their customer services are excellent.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I haven't been home for 2 to 3 months. There is only a large Scandia fridge running and a 27 inch computer monitor on standby. My monthly electricity bill averages £18 including standing charge.

Reply to
Smolley

A neighbour with a rather elderly fridge, freezer, and a chest freezer was seeing 4 kWh per day in an otherwise unoccupied flat.

At 29.66p kWh and 61.6p standing charge that explains his bills!

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

My 22 year old liebherr is suffering from a faulty door seal. I shudder to think how much electricity it wastes. It is scheduled for replacement at some stage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:) :)

Reply to
alan_m

Without knowing your standing charge it’s a bit meaningless. My standing charge alone would account for £18 a month.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1 - 55p/day here (Eon)
Reply to
RJH

I bought a new Liebherr FF in 2008. It was the base model with an electro-mechanical thermostat (made by Invensys in Italy).

The thermostat lost its wax shortly after the 2 year guarantee period expired. Their UK service agent (not part of Liebherr) didn't want to know.

Reply to
Andrew

On 20/08/2023 08:51, alan_m wrote: k.

New fridge turned up and installed late yesterday afternoon. The only minor annoyance is that the screw thread and foot adjustment had been painted. The supplied spanner wouldn't fit over the paint and I found the adjustment to be painted very tight when using my own adjustable spanner. :)

After the on-line appliance registration I was idly looking at the official accessories which were silly (expensive) money. Just being curious, I also looked at some of the spares from third party companies. I'm sure that I not would pay for a replacement compressor at £200 MORE than I paid for the new fridge?

Reply to
alan_m

I know I didn't.

Liebherr make fridges for Miele.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

The old fridge was left on my front driveway. It took two days but has now disappeared :)

Reply to
alan_m