Beko fridge-freezer compressor

When I moved into this house, I inherited a Beko fridge-freezer. 18 months later, the compressor seems to have died after making 'clicking death noises of doom' for an hour.

Anyone care to suggest an approximate repair cost in South Derbyshire?

I'm more inclined to buying a new one, to be honest as this one used to sell for 199UKP and isn't exactly 'high-end' and probably isn't worth repairing :-(

Reply to
Neil Barker

It likely to be about £100. You might find someone who gives 17.5% discount for cash. Not a difficult job - you just need the right kit.

If the cabinet is OK and the door seals are not perished, then it might be worth repairing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Neil Barker writes

Clicking death noises of doom ?

Does it have a solenoid driving the compressor which has given up the ghost? I had one like that once - £10 and 15 minutes to replace

Reply to
geoff

Good point, unless the compressor is getting red hot it's probably something else.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

It would have been nice if it was the solenoid, but the compressor is=20

*hot* :-((

After 10 seconds turned on, you can hear the thermal cutout trip.

--=20 Neil Barker

Reply to
Neil Barker

It would have been nice if it was the solenoid, but the compressor is

*hot* :-((

After 10 seconds turned on, you can hear the thermal cutout trip.

Reply to
John

It's been left overnight and still as dead as the proverbial. Hence we've been out and bought a new one today!

Reply to
Neil Barker

I was going to suggest the use of a mallet in professional way. Motor would probably have jammed again within days.

It might also have been the start cap.

It seems that all the motor/compressor units are made by "Fook Yu". If there is much difference in the quality that's installed between brands then that might account for your problems.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Never seen a capacitor start motor on a domestic fridge or freezer. they use a current controlled relay to switch a starter winding in parallel with the run winding. Normal starting does not require the higher torque offered by capacitor start motor as the pressure will have equalised across the compressor before it needs to start.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Quite probably. I work on the basis that the purchase price of this fridge-freezer was 200 quid. Spending potentially 120-140 pounds on it just wasn't worth it, though it's annoying as the unit is only about 2-

3 years old.

Well, Beko's the el-cheapo end of the fridge-freezer market, so nothing would surprise me :-)

Reply to
Neil Barker