Beko Frostfree Freezer Fix

I posted in 2004 complaining that my Beko frostfree fridge/freezer was warm, or at least hovering around freezing in the freezer compartment, and that everything had defrosted and gone soft. I never found the solution but about a week later it recovered and has been OK since then.

This week the same problem occurred over several days, and a bit of Googling gave me a clue. The problem seems to lie in the heat exchanger ( accessible from the freezer compartment by removing the drawers and then the rear panel ) being iced up.

The top of my heat exchanger was a solid chunk of ice, so I thawed it with a hairdryer and hey presto the freezer went back to normal. I think that the ordinary automatic defrost cycle was somehow thwarted by the mass of ice just hanging around on the heat exchanger.

I post this just for reference in case someone googles with a similar problem in future. Bekos are rebadged Hotpoints, so they may be similarly affected.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Maybe a fault somewhere in the defrost circuit, normally they cant get into this state.

For whoever googles in future, just closing the door asap after opening may well be enough to prevent this problem recurring.

NT

Reply to
meow2222