the fan in the fridge part of Bosch frost free fridge-freezer has stopped

As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/ effective especially when it's full. It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out of guarantee. Any thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
jgkgolf

Swap it for a panaflo one? They last well and are quiet.

Reply to
Doki

Build up of ice that the defrost system couldn't cope with. Try a thorough defrost.

Reply to
John

what you mean switch it off for a while and let it defrost that way? If I do that will the freezer stay frozen?

Reply to
jgkgolf

if it's owt like out fridge freezer, the fan in in the freezer section, when the fridge wants cooling it opens some flaps and turns the fan on,

every so often the ice build up gets too much and contacts the fan blades, making it run noisy, at this point i defrost the freezer (get some freezer bags from a supermarket, put the frozen food in them and close them, put them in the garage on a cold night, and defrost the freezer,

i take the fan housing off and pull the ice off the fan area, makes defrosting faster.

job done for another 8 or 9 months, when the thing was in warrenty, the first time it did it, we called the engineer out, he said they all do this, but most people just leave them untill the ice build up jams the fan, dosent usually harm the motor, but dosent do it any good and of course the fridge wont cool much.

Reply to
gazz

We defrost quite a few freezers at work and the simple way to melt the ice quickly is to direct and regular desk-type fan on it. This will minimise the amount of time the contents are out of the freezer by a significant amount. Frozen food in something well insulated should keep cold for a good few hours.

A fan heater might be even better, though I've never tried it.

Reply to
GMM

as long as you don't do what my sister did and melt the internal plastics ho hum :-) I used to defrost our old one with a hair dryer,its bit doggy from dripping water but always used with a RCD

Reply to
Kevin

Use a steam wallpaper stripper without the wall-plate attachment. You can do it in perhaps 15-20 minutes so that the freezer contents are barely affected.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It's surprising what you can get away with if you're careful. When our (still under warranty) Bosch fridge freezer needed a thermostat replacing many years ago the service technician used a hot air paint stripper as his weapon of choice. It's given many years of trouble free service since then.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I've used a fan heater on several occasions, however, I'd caution with a frost-free that there's a hell of a lot of plastic shrouding etc, betweeen the freezer cavity and the "innards". I *thought* I'd defrosted a frost-free when I had problems with over-temp, but it was only by removing the shroud (4 screws, against the bar wall of the freezer compartment, easy pull-out) that revealed the polar ice-cap loitering behind. THEN, the fan heater worked effectively. Usual rules of water and electricity not mixing apply.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

My Samsung did the same. Watchdog had it on the telly, and they got Samsung to extend the guarantee to 5 years, considering it a manufacturing defect.

The bloke came to replace the fan unit. Defrosted the surround>

Reply to
AJ

CPC do the spare fan motors if its using the fairly standard part. I fixed and old Creda freezer with one once.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hehee! That would work much better than squirting cold steam.

Reply to
~misfit~