Removing Neff Microwave from Oven Housing

Hi

We have a Neff Microwave mounted inside a stainless housing in turn mounted above the oven in a housing. I need to remove it to find out why it has stopped working, I suspect the Magnetron. I cannot for the life of me see how to get it out, no apparent screws from the outside that I can see and no parts seem to pull off. Can anyone help please?

Cheers Andy Barron

Reply to
Andy Barron

Model no.?

Have you tried some of the links on Neff's website (via "Customer Services") - you can download the user manuals free, also generally the installation manuals (usually the multi-lingual file download, rather than the specific-language for the user-manual).

FWIW, I doubt the magnetron - unless you've seriously abused it. Anyway, usual rules apply with microwaves - don't prod inside unless you understand what you're doing, there's large caps in there which (under failure conditions) can store a lethal charge.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

A built in type? I have one - the trim round the unit simply unclips. Revealing two brackets at the bottom fixed to the base with screws remove these and it pulls out. Note there are similar brackets at the back which need to be engaged when replacing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the advice I will pull on the trim a bit harder ;o)

BTW I am a qualified electronics engineer and have worked on microwave systems so I know what not to touch, it is the simple bit of getting the bl@@dy think out of the housing I can't cope with ;o)

Reply to
Andy Barron

Thank goodness Andy: I was about to write (for the benefit of certain non-electronic types who naively post "My microwave is broken is there anything inside I can fix myself", the usual "Be careful there's 5000 volts inside" and remarks about microwave radiation"! Although I've only heard about one death and some RF burns in a situation in Florida where some idiot ran one continuously in a snack bar, after removing the door and plugging the safety switches! The safety people afterwards told him to stop! As a once transmitter technician and owner of a catering company myself, I've repaired a few m.wave ovens and always treated them with great respect. Basically a 1000 watt RF transmitter inside a metal box! Once described as 'one of the more dangerous household appliances ever invented'! Good luck with your repair btw. I scrapped a couple more recently and AFIK a still working magnetron came out of one of them. I have parts from older ones and at least one more unit to scrap (I save the transformers, micro-switches, over heat bi-metals,. rectifier/ capacitor etc.) Contact me if necessary. Terry in (115 volt) Canada.

Reply to
terry

Well I still can't get it out, by removing an infill strip above it and using a mirror I can see that the microwave housing / frame is screwed to the sides of the wooden oven housing. Here are a couple of pics:

have searched the Neff web site with no luck. I really cannot see how to get this out, any further advice gratefully received.

A.

Reply to
Andy Barron

That's totally different from mine which just has a plain surround in the same material as the machine. No grills.

Thinks. The oven itself looks slightly similar and as I said is held in place by brackets at the bottom, screwed to the housing. So does the bottom grill pull off to give access to these? Then once the oven is removed the surround fixings are revealed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

Unfortunately the surrounding grill is one piece and pretty sturdy at that. The Microwave itself actually moves slightly within the housing / frame in fact I can lift the front up by about 5mm. It won't come out unless I can get the whole surrounding frame off though because there is a vent duct forming part of the microwave oven that extends to near the top of the vent grill at the top. Thanks for your help so far.

A.

Reply to
Andy Barron

At last I cracked it. The clue is that it lifts by 5mm, put my hands inside microwave, lift and move back. I can now get at the screws to remove the frame. Do I feel stoopid or what.

Andy Barron

That'll teach you to keep the fitting instructions - or make sure you get them from the installer. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The best and most concise bit of advice I've seen... and it worked too !

Reply to
John D

Oh dear, Home owners club again. For all those who see this reading via that broken web site. It does not seem to care what year it is, so often threads years old get brought back to life, and worse, it does not by default quote the message which is being replied to so all those viewing via the old normal Usenet clients have no idea what you are on about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa