Neff oven temperature is not accurate

I've been suspicious that both ovens in my Neff U1661 are no longer getting to the set temperature so have just checked with an oven thermometer - it shows 20-30 degrees colder than the setting in each oven. I'm going to try the thermometer in another oven ASAP but I suspect it's telling the truth because we've had some under-cooked things recently. Are there any calibration adjustments on the temperature controls? Any suggestions on what to check?

(I've asked this on UKwhitegoods too)

Reply to
<no_spam

Some oven thermostats can be adjusted but a lot can't. (Screw on the back of the control knob "box") Adjustment was a large part of manufacutring costs, a lot made now "self adjust" during manufacture. A lot of research was done into this aspect.

You might still be able to buy general purpose oven thermostats as a replacement which are adjustable. Or

Neff is a crap make BTW.

Reply to
harryagain

Workaround:

Candlewax melts at around 45%C 113%F. Allegedly.

Put a (bit of) candle in used tin, stick it in the oven set the oven to 45% give it a few minutes - this may be relevant - and see if it melts.

If it doesn't increase the oven setting by small increments until it does.

Make a note of this difference and try increasing the setting by this amount every time you use the oven. Or you could calculate the difference as a percentage of the original setting and increase the setting by this percentage.

I see no reason why this shouldn't work until you get near the maximium possible setting.

The oven will probably need to be ventilated in some way afterwards to get rid of the smell of the melted wax

This will give your oven "character", personalise it, and means that were any thieves foolish enough to steal your oven, they'd suffer from undercooked food for their pains.

Providing that is, that you keep the piece of paper on which you've noted the adjustment figure on a separate piece of paper, rather than sticking a label on the oven itself.

michael adams

michael adams

I'm fairly sure these use PTC thermistors. I thought that thermistor characteristics were not very repeatable (so I'd expected a calibration adjustment somewhere) but having just looked at a few data sheets it seems they're available with a +/-1% tolerance, so my memory has failed me. More investigation needed.

What's wrong with Neff? I know it's not at the top of the quality (or price) range but I don't hear people moaning about their appliances all the time and my oven has worked fine for 10+ years.

Reply to
<no_spam

:-) I could probably devise a few things that melted or boiled at different test points, but it might be easier to get a decent thermometer. I'll start a thread on IR thermometers to see whether people have found them to be accurate

Reply to
<no_spam

Chill out, turn the knob up a bit, no problem. Its not as if cooking temp/times are in any way accurate.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They're commonly used as car coolant and intake air temperature sensors so control in part the fuelling, so having to calibrate individually would not really be on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)