electric oven thermal switch

The problem appliance is a GE Profile 30" double wall oven.

model #JT950S0A1SS serial #FV6 72054Q

The closes matching model number at repairclinic.com is JT950SA1SS, which appears to be the correct oven.

I asked about this a couple of weeks ago, when the lower oven quit working. After some experimentation and poking around with a voltmeter, I've learned where the problem is.

The lower oven has a "thermal switch," located in the space between the two ovens. It is supposed to open at 275F. It is a manual reset type of switch.

If the lower oven is run through it's self cleaning cycle, all is well for about 2 1/2 hours (the minimum self-clean cycle is 3 hours). Then the thermal switch trips and the lower oven is disabled.

The fan in the space between the ovens comes on long before the thermal switch trips, and stays on.

Here are a couple of scenarios:

1) the switch is opening at too low a temperature - I could measure the temperature in the space with an oven thermometer and if the switch opens at too low a temperature, replace the switch

2) the temperature in the space is too high - what would cause that? Insufficient ventilation (the fan is on)?

3) I'm not too keen on the idea of replacing the switch with a piece of wire - the switch is an obvious safety feature.

I don't really care if the switch only trips during the cleaning cycle. I'm more worried that it will trip in the middle of cooking the Thanksgiving turkey (this may be the next experiment)!

Any ideas from the appliance experts? Thanks!

- Bryan

Reply to
bl

Hi,

I found two of them....

switch - no pic
limit - no pic

Make sure none of the fan(s) have any dust built up on or around them, also double check the install instructions....some required a hole be cut in the cabinet ( oftne the bottom ) to allow air to flow in and around for the fans or the limits would trip off.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks Jeff! Not too pricey compared to the price of two ovens.

Fans are clean and airflow seems fine (air coming out is warm). There is a hole in the cabinet, on the bottom. It opens into a drawer.

My current plan is to put a thermometer in the space between the ovens, enlarge the hole into the drawer, and try a cleaning cycle with the drawer removed. That should make sure there's plenty of airflow. If that's unsuccessful I'll start replacing parts.

- Bryan

Reply to
bl

Hi Bryan,

Just a thought on this - years ago we raised the cutout of a particular wall oven safety t'stat just enough to prevent 'nuisance tripping', per a Frigidaire svc bulletin, by slipping a thin shim of Bakelite under it.

If a new thermal trips (I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new GE replacement's rated slightly higher), it may be feasible to slip a bakelite shim under yours to correct this.

Might be worth a try...

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Dave,

Thanks for a good idea! That's worth a try.

- Bryan

Reply to
bl

Hi,

What ever you use, make sure it is fire/burn proof!! ;)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

!!

Bad place for a cardboard shim is what you're telling me? :-)

- Bryan

Reply to
bl

Yupper!! LOL :D