Where can I find out what is a good "saws-all/recipo saw

Hi,

Local stores have some on sale, but talking to people has shown me that there are different types with some lower end ones not holding up to use. How does one determine what will be good for them? I'm looking at a Milwaukee Sawzall 3/4 stroke, 10 amps 0-2800 spm, quik-lok blade clamp at $118.99 or Porter-Cable Tiger Saw 11.5 amps, 0-2600 spm, at $149.00. It would be for "do it yourself" projects.

Dave

Reply to
DS

Greetings Dave,

For "do it yourself" projects I suggest getting whichever name brand saw the pawn shop has and spending the rest of the money on beer. Also, it won't be as much of a blow when someone robs you and you have to buy it back from the pawn shop again even though you swear it's yours but you just cannot prove it....

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans

All can be had for $35 - $55 pawn shop. Dewalt, Milwakee, Bosh, etc etc etc.

Spend the rest on beer.

Reply to
Mike Jak

I've read some good advice on this board, but this has to be BEST advice I have ever read !! $75 on beer. Wouldn't last the weekend in my house.....

Reply to
jack

This is Turtle

I use the Porter Cable Tiger saw in my hvac business and seem it is holding up good for about 2 years now. I use it about 4 to 6 hours a week and it has not messed up yet. I got it as a gift if I bought 6 -- 10 ton Roof top gas packs in stead of 4 -- 10 ton gas packs. I was going to put in 4 of them in and then in a week or so i was going to put 4 more in. I just bought two early of about 3 weeks.

Now I do clean the saw up after using it and oil the slide shaft. Now the plastic boot is gone for getting dropped and hit.

I have not tried out the quick clamp saw yet. Now like others have said I do find these saws at the pawn shop at a pretty fair price but you better know the price of it at retail before looking there. Some pawn shops want just too much for them. The max. going rate would be 1/2 price and it better be new in the box look to it. Some Pawn shops just don't know what they are worth and make up a figure in their head as to the price. One thing about buy these saws in the pawn shop. Never leave there before you see it run. Plug it in before you leave and see.

TURTLE

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

good luck finding one at the pawn shop for that much. Last time I looked they wanted almost as much as the stores did.

I have purchased several power tools from Harbor Freight. Their house brand is made in China but for the amount of use I give them they work just fine for me. this one is $40.00 with an warranty

They have honored the warranty on the one tool I returned. Got another one and been fine ever since.

Reply to
SQLit

The Milwaukee products carry a five year warranty, which is the best in the industry.

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Mark Mitchell

The absolute standard of the recipro-saw world is the Milwaukeee Super SawzAll. On sale at some our local discount places, it is about $180. Logical question is "why pay that much?" Logical answer, "try it out, see the difference". The Super has a unique antikickback action that means you can use it with one hand atop a 24 foot ladder. It is similar in effect to the difference between a straight shotgun and a recoil-operating piece. If all you ever do are crude cuts, than save the money and buy something else (even beer). But if doing a consistently tidy job is important to you, the Super SawzAll is the way to go. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I like the Sawzall for it's heavy duty construction. They make several models with different strokes; check to make sure the one you buy isn't too heavy for your comfort.

When you decide which model you want, buy it on eBay.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I've been driving by these pawn shops all my life so recently I decided to stop and go in one and look for a torch.

I was lucky to get out alive. I'm sure I saw John Gotti in there and maybe Al Capone. I couldn't tell but I think the big guy by the door who was watching me had a sub-machine gun in his pants.

These two druggies came walking in with what I thought was all my tools from my truck.

I got scared and ran.

Pj

Reply to
PJx

Depends on your use. I have the plain jane Millwaukee Sawz-all, works fine for me. I have had it for twenty years and only have replaced the cord. At work we have some of both,the PC Tiger is a faster cutting saw, but a bit heavier. If you are looking for occational use the Millwaukee would be fine. Either is a good saw! Greg

Reply to
Greg O