Cutting out Subfloor, Saw??

Need to cut out subfloor. Anyone know the name of the saw I can use to cut it flush to the wall. There is a double subfloor down now and it extends under the wall. Thanks JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

We used a power rotary saw to get it within an inch of a wall. Didn't need to do any better than that and were more worried about setting an accurate depth. If we had to go further we probably would have used a chisel for the rest. Would have been easy.

Reply to
Art Begun

I meant portable circular saw.

Reply to
Art Begun

According to Art Begun :

If you're going to do much of this, I recommend using a "renovation" or "wrecking" blade if you can find one. They're carbide tipped, but, have a zero or even negative tip angle and the blade is built for impacts with hard objects. Ie: flooring nails, driven in grit etc.

They cut through nails just fine. Sheared off (in order to replace) a rotting ring joist right through the flooring nails in a shed. Worked great.

Better'n having the saw blade throw carbide or other nasties.

They're not that expensive either. I think mine was under $15 CDN.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Mastermech :

Most people do it with a circular saw and finish the corners with a handsaw and/or chisel. Tho, if you were really into power tools, you could perhaps use a dremel to get it close (but not quite) all the way flush to the wall.

There are flush-cutting jigsaw blades (for cutting _to_ the wall, but not along it), but not only are they somewhat hard to find, chances are that there'll be a joist in the way.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

You might have been thinking of this one:

bookmarked this after someone posted it here a while back...)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I figured I could use the circular saw but I thought I saw on this group once a saw that would cut flush to the wall. I appreciate the quick responses. Thanks JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I only have to do a small section and figured I would use a saw and take the easy way out. Looks like that toe-kick saw would work great. Hell looks like if I could mount a saw blade to my angle grinder I could do that too.

Thanks again for the responses JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

I like to use my biscuit joiner for cutting the casings before flooring then finish the cut with a Japanese flush cutting hand saw. works like a charm and is much cheaper than a specialty saw.

Reply to
3GCPO