Duct and dust

Apparently I must have a hole in the duct work leading to my sons room. Within a month, his walls and furniture are so dusty, you can write your name in it. This only happens in his room and the main intake filter isn't that dirty when I change it each month. I went up in the attic and can't see any holes, but I don't think it would take a really big hole. Is there an easier way than disconnecting the duct work and shining a flashlight inside of it? My heat pump is in the attic and there is not a lot of room to maneuver.

Thanks

Reply to
The Data Rat

IMO, before you go through all that, try purchasing the register filters (a few bucks) and see if that helps in his room. If it does, then you may have an issue with your duct work. If it does not help, then it may be because he spends alot of time in there, etc.

Reply to
UnFriendly Fire

i have the same problems: the rooms with more electronic stuff in them, like the Tv, computers, stereo, etc. will have more dust in them thant the other rooms.. ask the experts: the people who clean up for a living, i asked one of the ladies who works at a cleaning service that does our building(big office building, she been doing it for alot of years, says she does three jobs, one at the school board, one for this cleaning service and one for another govt. agency part time.. she told me that you have to dust every day and keep at it.. i remember as a kid that the dusting seemed like a weekly or monthly job, but i did not do it my mother did, i guess we never had as much stuff to dust back then?? now everything that we have is electronic in one way or the other and it is like a dust magnet(look at your TV screen).....

Reply to
jim

You need to be careful of register filters. They add additional static pressure in the ductwork. This can lead to premature problems with your HVAC system.

Reply to
HeatMan

I would look to other problems. A hole in the duct will only allow air to come out of the duct when in use since it is under pressure, dust is not going to be sucked in. While there are possible situations that could cause the problem, I doubt if it is the duct work. The idea to try register filters is not a bad one and will resolve that issue. I suspect there is some other cause.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
The Data Rat

First, a register filter is the worst thing you can use. They restrict airflow too much, and can cause other problems you wont want.

Second, a duct under pressure will NOT suck in dust, no matter how large the hole is, unless you have something tossing it into the pressurized airstream..

Reply to
CBHvac

As others have said a pressurized duct system can't suck in dust. The dust must have another source. Is your sons room by a furnace that uses inside the house air for combustion? If so is this configuration can cause a negative pressure that can draw flu soot back into the house.

Reply to
tnom

Reply to
Phil Munro

I think a lot of dust comes from cotton fibers - maybe there's simply more sources in this room?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Burr

Hi UnFriendly, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Dec-03 At About 03:08:07, UnFriendly Fire wrote to All Subject: Re: Duct and dust

UF> From: "UnFriendly Fire"

UF> IMO, before you go through all that, try purchasing the register UF> filters (a few bucks) and see if that helps in his room. If it does, UF> then you may have an issue with your duct work. If it does not help, UF> then it may be because he spends alot of time in there, etc.

This is not recommended as these restrict air flow and can cause system damage. the duct system is only designed for one filter in the return and no more.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2