hole in duct

On cleaning my ductwork to prep for insulation, I discovered a hole in the main duct. It's the same size as the holes for the ducts that branch off and lead to each room.

Can anyone tell me the right way to cover it? It was covered with a square of metal duck taped onto the main duct. Of course, the tape has long since stoped sealing the crack. Wild guess -- this is not what a pro HVAC guy would do?

For the moment, I have it taped back down with foil tape.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave Byrne

Reply to
David Byrne

Proper repair?

Sheet metal, cut larger than the hole, held in place with at least 8 screws if larger than 5X5 square to cover it, UL181A-B tape over the seals, sealed with mastic.

Reply to
CBhvac

If it's the end of a run, my boss and I used to put S-cleat around the edges of the duct. Punch the cleat about every six inches or so. Cut a sheet of panning two inches bigger than the duct hole, and use a folding bar to fold the panning to fit the cleat. Push the panning in, and hit it with a couple zipscrews.

If it's on the side of a run, much the same deal, but no cleat and no folding.

Got an electric drill? How about get a 1/4 nutsetter tip, and a small box of half or 3/4 inch zipscrews, and screw that plate back on?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon