"Drywall"

I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard "drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We do many things backwards. We park our cars in the driveway and drive on the parkways.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reminds me of the time I once got paid a few cents a word to translate English-English into American-English.

Reply to
Frank

not any more, I hope.

Reply to
charles

Because saying 1 and a half by 3 and a half is too long.

Reply to
Hawk

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

I still buy 2 by 1, but the blasted stuff sold as PAR (planed all round) is nowhere near 2 x 1.

Reply to
Andrew

And we send shipments by car and cargo by ships.

Reply to
Eric Walker

Not usually in America, where they just tape and fill the joints. Hence "Drywall".

Reply to
newshound

That depends on when. Our house was built in 1960 and has real plaster over I-forget-what-it's-called-but-but-it-substitutes-for

-laths on the main level and drywall in the basement.

Drywall is sometimes called gypsum board or sheetrock, among other thngs.

Reply to
John Varela

I assume that's a company name, like Duck Tape. There must be a generic name for it.

Anyway, isn't that the cheating way of filling gaps? Kinda like sellotaping things together instead of using screws! Isn't that tape going to peel off at some later stage?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Those are at least descriptive of what it's made of.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine is 1.25" by 3.75". You can get it in any size you like. But 2 by 4 is a rough idea of the sizing. 2 by 4 for joists, 2 by 2 for drywall (ugh) supports. I've even got some 3 by 8.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Local builder's merchant here sells what I ask for. They have several sizes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I saw a van once with "Ames taping" on it and thought, that's a very narrow field of work! I saw another van with "Time served" which I think means he's done an apprenticeship. But I assumed it meant he's been in jail. I saw another van with "A. Prentice" which I assume is his name, but not a very good advert.

Why can't it still crack the flush plaster you put over the tape?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Whatever it's called, it's shit. It's powder held together with paper. Use wood for crying out loud. No crumbling, easier to remove, easier to screw things into like a picture frame etc.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine sells by the mm. They quote on the website the precise size it is when you buy it. Why would I want to buy a rough size which may not match what I already have? Your houses must end up really wonky.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

and a lot more expensive.

Reply to
charles

Far too skillfull a task for an American.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You sound like a builder. They do things because they're told that's the way it's done. Ask them why and they get confused.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey