"Drywall"

Anything can be chewed. That foam stuff for cavity walls is destroyed by mice. Totally useless.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's shit compared to wood.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Builders don't have skills, they're robots following what they were taught in their apprenticeships. They don't actually understand what they're doing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So does a Lada Riva. Do you drive one?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And fire :-)

Reply to
Andrew

We have Pink stuff in the UK. Reinforced with glassfibre and

15mm thick to give 1 hour fire resistance (until sometime later a thicko tradesman or his apprentice makes holes in it to run in some new water pipes or cables and doesn't reseal the holes).
Reply to
Andrew

Use Fermacell then. Strong as timber and Class O fire resistance.

Reply to
Andrew

Termites love chewing timber in many parts of France and the USA

Reply to
Andrew

Only if a BCO was involved. If not then single layer and a bit of fibreglass wadding if you're lucky.

Reply to
Andrew

I can hear my neighbour on her mobile phone, if she is at the top of the stairs on her side of the party wall, which is a cavity wall, with two 4inch block leafs and a one inch air gap.

I think the (1976) builders used the wrong sort of blocks. Either that or the whole batch was defective and very porous.

Reply to
Andrew

It's only £6 a sheet though.

Reply to
Andrew

If you are going to give the whole wall a 3mm skim of gypsum multi-finish plaster, then you normally use square edge boards backside out.

Few big builders bother with a skim, they just tape and seal the tapered-edge and use a special filler on the joint then just decorate.

Reply to
Andrew

Giving a 3mm skim of gysum plaster gives more knock-resistant surface. Useful for some applications.

Reply to
Andrew

British Gypsum have a big catalogue of products and lath boards are (or were) one of the product lines.

Reply to
Andrew

Absolutely no fire resistance, and is even worse than 'wood' in a fire because the glue gives off seriously nasty toxic smoke.

Also expands and contracts as the weather goes from cold/wet to cold/dry and hot/humid. Even more cracking and movement.

Reply to
Andrew

Like I said, nothing is infallible. Correction as I hate double negatives. Everything is fallible.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So you're having to take account of the scammers, wonderful.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Says the man who think's he's a woman, and hasn't learned how to killfile me yet.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

New ways to make cheap shit when we already had a perfectly good renewable resource - wood.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Trouble is nobody pronounces the two neighbouring Ts, so it always sounds like the company name. They did well there.

No, I'd use wood.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey