"Drywall"

Particularly when it's expanded metal lath -- that stuff is NASTY to remove and work around!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Easy - just remove and replace the plasterboard

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Or if the wasps have been chewing it to make paper for their nests....r

Reply to
RH Draney

I think the Commander assumes society has no good reasons for anything it does.

Drywall has reasonable properties, and there are enough variants, you can get more armor-plated versions ("Type X") if you want.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

For what???

Never seen back side out installation for any purpose.

Reply to
dpb

Not when you put it up in *sheets* Rod. Only the joints are wet - for a short time.

Reply to
Xeno

Try *Duct Tape*. Named for its *function*, not a company name. It's used primarily in ducted heating and cooling.

Using plasterboard instead of doing lath plastering could be considered cheating too but would *you* want to do it the old way?

Reply to
Xeno

Do the plaster sheeting properly in the first place and it should never crack.

Reply to
Xeno

Not at all. They do things because that's the *best way* to do the job. It is quick, efficient and produces the outcome required. What more do you need? BTW, I can tell you're not a builder - or any other type of

*tradesman*.
Reply to
Xeno

Indeed. LOL

Reply to
Xeno

Now you're talking like a 5 year old!

Reply to
Xeno

It is. Did my kitchen out with it 20 years ago. That house was built in

53 and it had gypsum sheeting so it isn't new by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply to
Xeno

If you have done the sheeting properly, the tape won't give and the plaster won't crack.

Easy to remove. Did it in my kitchen 20 years ago.

Reply to
Xeno

Lath and plaster, seen entire houses done with that method. Admittedly, the houses were ancient but it looked like a very time intensive job. Just think how hard it was to get surfaces flat. Would have taken real skill.

Reply to
Xeno

Flathead galvanised Nails, the standard method of attaching plaster. Nowadays they glue and nail. Some even use plasterboard screws.

Reply to
Xeno

It's only bevelled on one side so that informs which is the facing side.

Reply to
Xeno

Skimming is to make a flat surface from a rough one. Plasterboard is already flat. You only need to skim the joints once you have applied the tape.

Not once the joint has been skimmed. BTW, have you ever seen the jointing tape? Hint, run along to the local hardware and take a look at some. That will inform you so preventing some of these ridiculous comments coming from your direction.

Another ridiculous comment. See my hint above. After skimming, the tape becomes an integral part of the wall.

Reply to
Xeno

Plasterboard sheeting is far too skilful a task for a Scotsman, if you're an example.

Reply to
Xeno

You wouldn't know how.

Reply to
Xeno

What do you do with the joints? BTW, you do realise that chipboard sheets will have joints, don't you? Do you realise that the coefficient of expansion of chipboard is much greater than plasterboard so cracked joints *will* be an issue.

Just out of interest, I grew up in a house where the walls were sheeted with *hardboard* sheets. These had nowhere near the expansion coefficient of chipboard but, even so, the gaps couldn't be plastered. Instead the flat gaps were covered with rounded edge wood strips and the angled corners with quad strips. It was cheap but effective. That house was extended and completely made over after we sold it so it probably has plaster sheet wall coverings now.

Reply to
Xeno