Backing /furring strips for drywall....ok to use strips of drywall?

The book I have says to use plywood furring strips to use as backing when making drywall repairs on medium/large holes. Is it ok to use stips of drywall instead? Not strong/thick enough?

Thx

Reply to
Doe John

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:18:50 GMT, Doe John posted:

I've never used drywall for that, but I wouldn't even try; the intended use of drywall is to have screws driven through it to grab something "solid," not into it. Also, it'll probably break getting it into the hole.

The only reason I could think of for using plywood would be because it's a generally flat surface, thereby making your patch piece lay even with the surface. But because it's ply, if it's a thin ply, say less than 3/4", I'd guess it could splinter out on the ends and be destroyed screwing into it unless you pre-drill it.

I patch a lot of holes, and I use cheapo 1x2x8' #3 pine furring strips cut about 6" longer than the hole and screw the patch in about 2" past the border. You might need more than one strip. If there's a stud in the way going horizonitally, put the strip in vertically. Just make sure there's no "twist" in the strip so your patch lays flat.

Painter

PS - 1 5/8" drywall screws

Reply to
Painter

Plywood or just about any wood-type stuff works just fine for backing behind drywall. I often put a little yellow glue on whatever I'm using before I stick it in the hole. Half-inch plywood works great.

Reply to
donald girod