What to call, how to find spacer ring for light fixture

In my bathroom, above the vanity, there is a mirror and a fairly shallow light fixture. I'm about to replace the mirror with a recessed medicine chest which has a crown molding. The lights on the fixture will end up being a bit too close to the wall (1/4-1/3 above the molding, not shining down on the mirrored door of the cabinet and the top of the vanity).

I believe I've seen a short metal adapter which can be used to move the fixture out an inch or so from the wall; it screws to the existing wiring box and then the fixture attaches to the adapter. But I've Googled several phrases and not gotten any hits.

Am I imagining that this thing exists? If not, what would you call it and where can I get one?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Nelson

I use to get these brass extension collars to use mounting fixtures on shallow stud boxes in old houses, but a search didn't produce anything. You probably could use a wiremold box like this:

RBM

That may actually be what I was remembering. Thanks. It seems a little shallow but once you got me searching for "Wiremold", I saw a couple that looked deeper.

Reply to
Chris Nelson

Octagon box extension ring. Most likely Ace Hardware has it. Warren

Reply to
WW

That may actually be what I was remembering. Thanks. It seems a little shallow but once you got me searching for "Wiremold", I saw a couple that looked deeper.

I found it :

RBM

I did something similar by mounting the light fixture on a plank. I finished the edge of the board with a decorartive detail using a router and my wife painted it to look like bushed nickle. The faux finish was the hard part

JImmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

That might work but, OMG, $15 S&H for a $2 part!

Reply to
Chris Nelson

That might work but, OMG, $15 S&H for a $2 part!

Try a "real" electrical supply

Reply to
RBM