Safe to Paint a Light Fixture?

I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture (reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Kate

On 3/1/2009 11:07 PM Kate spake thus:

By "reflector shield" you mean the inside of the can, correct?

No problemo painting it; after all, that's who it got the color it is. (Probably baked on, but still paint.) Obviously, you're going to let the paint dry first, right?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, it is the inside of the fixture. Yes, I would let it dry. Just wondering if the paint will crack at some point, and then I would really have a mess.

Thanks.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Reply to
Kate

*It sounds as though you may have commercial cans instead of residential. If you can find a manufacturer's name somewhere inside you might be able to get replacement trims and reflectors. I suggest the use of a high heat paint for the interior as it can get quite hot inside due to eat build-up.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Many models of recessed trims made by Lightolier, Progress, Atlite, and some others, have removable baffles that just snap out. This would make it very easy to spray them. I've done this several times and had great success. I agree with John Grabowski and would only use paint made for high temperature. Depending upon the model of the fixture, and the type and wattage of lamp installed, there is a potential for a concentration of heat very close to the baffle

Reply to
RBM

BarBQ paint of high heat exhaust paint (header paint" from automotive supplier would fill the fill.

Reply to
clare

You are right on. I just called Krylon before getting your post, and Krylon is not the right stuff.

Many thanks.

John Grabowski wrote:

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
Kate

If you're worried about heat, you can call an automobile parts supply house and ask if they stock spray paint for exhaust manifolds. That type of paint is meant to withstand high heat and it comes in a wide variety of colors.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

just use bbq paint, or high heat engine paint from the autoparts store. The stuff you were sold, probably won't burn, but it may bubble up and fall off.

Steve Barker

Reply to
Kate

As someone else suggested, let the paint dry overnight before turning the bulb on. Should be fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon