Ceiling Medalion

I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Group.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

On 3/1/2009 11:03 PM Kate spake thus:

Two possibilities, depending on the nature of the gap (hard to tell from your description and without pictures):

  1. If the medallion is flexible or moveable, you *might* be able to glue it, as you proposed, but this is unlikely to work. Don't try super glue: not made for this kind of repair, and won't hold. (Likely to glue your fingers to something, though.) The problem is holding the medallion tight against the ceiling: tape might work, but probably not.
  2. More likely is that you'll need to work a little bit of filler into the gap, then clean it up, then possibly touch up the paint next to it. I'd probably use drywall "mud" (similar to Spackle) since I have a lot of it; you could also use painter's putty, caulk, whatever you have around. Work it in with your finger, then clean up with a damp rag.

If the gap really is tiny (1/16" or less), it'll disappear right quick.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Genius idea. I am good with putty - LOL. This is ideal.

Many, many thanks.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Reply to
Kate

*Whenever I put those things up I always use generous amounts of the recommended adhesive and shoot in a few drywall screws as well. Despite that effort there are always gaps. The best thing to fill the gaps is paintable caulk.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I assume "a tiny gap" is about 1/16-1/8"? The normal procedure would be to use paintable caulk to fill the gap, let that cure and paint over as for the rest of the ceiling. How is the medallion held in place?

FWIW, a basic "how to" book for homeowners would be a good investment. It helps save money to know in advance what steps should be taken for remodeling or repairing. You may also find "how to" brochures where they sell caulk. There are zillions of kinds of caulk and what you should look for is for interior, paintable, nothing fancy. Water clean-up.

Reply to
norminn

Putty is not a good choice - if you get the oily kind, you may not be able to paint it. I assume you followed installation instructions when you put the medallion in place?

Reply to
norminn

Hi, When I did it out at my cabin dining room, I ratated it bit by bit to find a best fit and sanding(shaving) to minimize the things like you describe. Then I permanently fixed it. Looks great.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just got a ladder up there, and I think the gap is bigger than that.

I will probably use caulk if I can get it up in their neatly. Any ideas how I can hold the medallion up until the caulk dries?

The medallion is held in place just by a light fixture cap.

Thank you.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>> I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

Reply to
Kate

My boyfriend installed it, and after the fact, I read that it should be caulked first. We hung a chandelier. The best bet would probably be to take it down and start over. Sigh!

Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>> Genius idea. I am good with putty - LOL. This is ideal.

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
Kate

*Every medallion that I have installed recommended a specific adhesive to use although it takes a while for it to grab. I have used support poles to keep it up there for an hour or so with a piece of wood so that every part of the medallion surface has pressure applied to it. No good. The best thing is the recommended adhesive and some drywall screws that are driven close to the ornate areas. A little dap of white paintable caulk makes the screws invisible from down below. Apply a bead of paintable caulk all around and smooth with a wet finger.
Reply to
John Grabowski

On 3/2/2009 4:46 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

What are you talking about, "the oily kind"? In fact, that's the type I use (Crawford's painter's putty), which is oil-based, and is made to be paintable after drying (after all, that's the whole point of the exercise).

Are you talking about window putty? Even that's paintable, although it takes much, much longer to dry. The stuff I use is ready to paint in 24 hours.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Reply to
Kate

*If the medallion is one of those lightweight foam center models a drywall screw will go right through it without any problem. If it is a plaster type I would suggest predrilling some holes with a small masonry bit. The drywall screws on the foam models don't need to actually be screwed into wood to pull it up to the ceiling. Just drilling into the drywall without over doing it will suffice. The plaster models should be screwed into something solid.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Yes! Even moving down/up gets confusing.

Reply to
Oren

Mine is plastic. Very light weight too. I am going to have my friend use a very thin screw and screw it onto the ceiling. There won't be a stud, but it should work.

The caulk has held today, but I am afraid with the hot weather we get here that it could crack, and let go, so hopefully the screws will work.

Does this sound OK?

Thanks.

John Grabowski wrote:

Reply to
Kate

Could you please tell me how not to do this? I don't post on newsgroups a lot, and not that savvy.

Thanks.

Oren wrote:

Reply to
Kate