Rust Destroyer, Ospho, or what?

Are any of so-called rust neutralizers effective at keeping rust at bay? Paint and hardware stores have suggested trying Rust Destroyer or Ospho to neutralize the rust. Another suggested Hammerite paint which is self-priming.

I'm going to be painting an aluminum (or steel?) post that separates two aluminum framed windows at the corner of the house. I've scraped off all the old paint and cleaned out the caulk between the windows and frames. The post (beam?) has what I think is just surface rust on the inside but more advanced rust in one spot outside where the outside concrete/stucco sill meets the post. Will any of these provide lasting results or are there others that are better? Oh one more thing, what should be used to clean the post off before applying whatever I end up using?

Thanks.

Reply to
postacct

*After scraping, sanding and wire brushing I clean it up with acetone. Then I use Rust O'Leum primer and paint according to the directions on the cans. Check their web site for the paint that suits your needs best.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I've used rust "neutralizers" on outdoor furniture a couple of times, with poor results. Best is to grind, wire-brush or sand loose rust, then use a rusty metal primer, like Rustoleum. Concrete always holds moisture, so it will probably cause more rust if it remains in contact. Different metals should be isolated from each other, I believe...plastic? When dealing with iron, it should be clear of loose rust and then primed right away to prevent more rusting from starting - clean with denatured alcohol to remove oils and fingerprints.

Reply to
norminn