New Bathroom Vanity Too Tall - Do I have to remove mirror?

We put ceramic tile down in the bathroom and now want to install new vanity but it is taller than the bottom of the mirror.

The new vanity top is pretty basic, cultured marble with built in backsplash.

Is there any reason why I can't just install it in front of the mirror instead of having the mirror sit right on top of the backsplash? I don't want to remove this 4x4' mirror. Could put quarter round to cover the gap caused by the mirror thickness.

So just to be clear, the mirror would be extending down behind the backsplash several inches.

Reply to
Cab

Yep, it can be done that way as long as you shim out the cabinet's attachment points so no force is bearing on the mirror.

RicodJour

Thanks RicodJour. I was hoping for that answer.

Reply to
gray

You're welcome. If you're talking about putting the quarter round to cover the gap on the side, thinner stuff would probably look less clunky. Check out lattice strip at the Borg or a real lumberyard.

RicodJour

Thee is also reverse quarter round, as well as a lot of other choices if you go to a real lumber yard. Be sure to take SWMBO with you to approve the trim, that way you'll not have complaints for the next several years.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Also, depending on the color of the vanity, consider vinyl trim/ lattice.

No moisture issues/peeling paint, etc.

I just replaced the baseboard around my bathroom wainscoting with vinyl baseboard instead of repainting it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What is reverse quarter round? I've never heard the term before.

RicodJour

Wild guess:

Cove molding

DerbyDad03

Cove molding is what I meant, just didn't use the capenter's terminology - Sorry.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Okay, no problem. That also looks less clunky and would be a better choice than quarter round.

RicodJour

"We put ceramic tile down in the bathroom..."

"So just to be clear, the mirror would be extending down behind the backsplash several inches."

Just how much ceramic tile did you put down? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Can you lower the vanity? That is, cut some amount off the bottom?

How is the mirror mounted? If glued to the wall, it will be almost impossible to remove it without breaking. If, on the other hand, it is held in place by four or so mirror mounts, it might be possible to take it down and re-mount it.

If the mirror does break (intentionally or accidentally), that's a good excuse to obtain a new medicine cabinet that fits above the vanity.

Reply to
HeyBub