Bathroom Vanity Drain Obstructs Drawers

I want to install a 24" vanity in my br - a model with drawers on the right side. The vanity is supposed to fit in the left corner of the bathroom, with the toilet to the right.

However, the vanity fits against the back wall right where the vertical member holding the drawer slides will obstruct the drain coming out of the wall.

Are there any plumbing tricks in order to be able to hook a unit up? I could move it a few inches to the right, but then I'd have a gap between the vanity and the wall, which would not look very nice. Or would a plumber have to re-position the drain, which is not something I want to get into.

Thanks.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

You dont want to reposition the drain. That becomes a big ordeal and will cost you plenty. You can either rework the pipes coming of the main drain to the sink if you can or you should consider modifiying or shortening the drawer in question. I had a similar problem in that I wanted to install a 60" inch dual sink vanity in my bathroom, but the drawers were right in the center and only gave me 3" to work with on the drain pipes. I used every special flex tubing I could find and still have to take 1" off the drawer to get everything to fit. Unless you look under the vanity you would never know the drawer is shorter.

Reply to
ceraboy

Yes, I thought about shortening the drawer. Or building a custom vanity....when I retire...

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I found shortening the drawer to be rather easy with either a table saw or circular saw as long as you do not need to modify the rails. I simply removed the rails from the drawer, cut off the back panel flush and then removed my 1" of drawer sidewalls and bottom. 4 screws later

  • wood glue and my drawer was all back together under 15 minutes. When you look under the vanity it still looks like the drawer is dovetailed from the manufacturer. Depending on how your drain pipe is connected you might be able to remove a chunk of drywall and get in there and divert your drain enough to get by the drawer. Mine was all soldered copper which made that a tougher endeavor without removing lots of drywall and insulation to get a torch in there. Good luck
Reply to
ceraboy