Bathroom vanity light height/ new install

I am redoing my bathroom.. I ordered my medicine cabinet and was just curious is there any rule of thumb as to where to install the vanity light? Should it be a couple of inches above the medicine cabinet? I like to know so I can mount the electric box in the right place. Thanks.

Reply to
Mikepier

I would think just above the mirror. A couple inches or less sounds about right.

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that a tall person can't see their face? Plus, why are master-bedroom sinks installed so low? I have to break my back every morning just to wash my face, and I'm only 6 feet tall.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Phisherman" wrote

They make taller ones now, I think they are called luxury height, something like that. Maybe you could change yours. I hate to hear you're breaking your back like that. Heh.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Chuckle. Because women usually pick the house, and they tend to run shorter? When I rewired the bath in this place, I had to pull the surface-mount cabinet/mirror/light to get to the botched up feed wire. Needless to say, I remounted it a almost a foot higher than I found it. When I bought the place, top of mirror was at neck level for me. I'd like vanity about six inches taller, too, but raising that would have cost money. If I ever gut the bathroom, I will find some way to do a taller one. Mebbe vanities should be like airport drinking fountains- a tall and a short, side by side.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Even if they didn't pick the house, it's probably better for the sink to be short enough for the shortest person than so high that the short one has to get on a ladder to use it. (Kids are on their own.)

I put a peephole in my front door, and put it lower than my own eye, so other people could use it. Im only 5'8" but when I looked at the peephole later, I realized that the 2 or 3 inches lower than my eye, still meant that no one under 5'2 or 5'3 was going to be able to use it, even standing on tiptoes.

Reply to
mm

"aemeijers" wrote

I haven't picked out too many vanities, but I only ever saw a standard height. Didn't think anything of it, truth be told.

My medicine cabinet is 28 inches tall, not including the moulding. You'd have to really try to mount it such that you it wouldn't accomodate both a tall and a short person.

The way I came about this cabinet is pretty ridiculous. I picked the vanity, medicine cabinet and light out of the catalog my contractor gave me. This was my first remodel job, I can't believe I worked that way, but that's another story. I want this this this in this color. Done.

He ordered them, and when he'd gotten them in he said, man, I didn't know if this was going to fit, I barely got the light in. Huh? He ordered what I pointed to in the catalog. Well, luckily they didn't have 12 foot ceilings in this catalog with a 6 foot mirror. I meant that style, get the size that's right for my bathroom! Nice guy, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Worked out great. I really like having that big cabinet and mirror. I lucked out, next time I'd do that on purpose.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Short installers ?

You have a sink in your bedroom...Cool ! ;-) Actually, when we were house shopping some time back, we looked at one that had the whirlpool tub right in the bedroom..weird !

I'm 6'4 and the last 3 houses we built, I put ALL the countertops: kit, Baths, laundry room at 36.5" a/FF. I also installed 3 Kohler "Comfort Height" toilets. It's all a good fit for us but one "shorter" lady visitor complained her feet didnt reach the floor when upon the "throne". I'll have to make her a "one step" before her next visit.

Rudy

"Rudy" wrote

Heh, I had this problem at my brother's house just recently. I never used the bathroom before, imagine my surprise the seat was so hight my feet were swinging. I didn't find out until later their house used to have a disabled person living there, hence the special toilet.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

84" from the floor to the box is the "standard". This allows for most fixtures.

Do you own math and put it where you want it.

30-36" vanity base, 3-5" top and splash, 30-36" of mirror or cabinet.
Reply to
Colbyt

If you are doing a complete remodel, and have the space, you might consider lights on the sides of the mirror rather than over the top. I personally think this gives better light, with less shadows on your face while shaving and for the little lady when she puts on her makeup.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Mikepier