Heater in Bathroom Panasonic Whisper Warm ?

Hello

I am about to have my bathroom remolded.

My wife would like to add a heater to the bathroom. The home has a forced air gas furnace and the batroom has a vent in it. We rarely turn the house heater on (live in SF bay area).

I noticed that Panasonic makes a WhisperWarm , which is a vent fan along with a heater.

Would this be a good way to go? I need to add a vent fan as part of the remodle.

Was wondering if there is a better way to install a heater?

How are the Red Hating Lamp Light Bulbs?

Or an Electric Wall mount heater?

Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

First things first. Do NOT have your bathroom remolded. You should reuse the existing mold. It's cheaper that way. ;)

I like Panasonic fans, but I don't see the point in heating the air up by the ceiling. If you want to do it right, look into installing radiant heat under the floor tile. There are very few things in life that are nicer than stepping barefoot onto a nice warm floor, and none of those other things are legal.

Electric radiant is efficient for small areas, such as your bathroom, and it frees up wall and ceiling space. The only thing you'll see is the thermostat. If you get one of the programmable thermostats you can set it to turn the floor heat on a little while before you get up in the morning so you'll step onto that nice warm floor.

Warmly Yours is a good outfit to work with.

RicodJour

I agree. I am working on the second bathroom remodel using under tile electric heaters as an addition to the house heating. They don't use much electricity and can be controlled to only operate when you need it.

Reply to
EXT

It's probably not going to do what you want - the room will be cold when you enter and if the exhaust fan is running, the only warmth will come from direct radiation. Since you are remodeling, you may want to consider something like this as a solution:

It fits flush into the wall and operates by thermostat (builtin or separate). There are many similar choices to choose from, depending on the size of the room. Search for electric wall heater.

I installed one in a back corner bathroom that never seemed to get warm enough from the central heating. Set the thermostat just high enough to take the chill off the room, but not so high that you'd see a big electric hit.

It does draw current similar to a hair dryer, so you can't piggy back on a lighting circuit and need to be careful about a bath circuit since it's possible you'd have a hair dryer going the same time it was running. We had an unused 20A GFCI jet tub circuit available, so it was really easy to install.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Reply to
jloomis

Recycling old mold (as opposed to buying new) saves money and can be a wise investment. Be sure to install it into wet area to give it a good home.

Since I do work exclusively with the handicapped and the elderly, I know that you NEVER install anything that moves air around or through a bathroom (think wind chill factor). I always recommend radiant flooring systems or if that is not possible, radiant from above. Either way, it is a little more expensive on an operating basis than a gas FAU, but it is better for bathroom heat. I always recommend a programmable thermostat for heated floors since they are not instant on. Set them 20 minutes or so before you get up (depdnding on substrate), and have a nice toasty bathroom and shower floor ready to go.

Tim

First things first. Do NOT have your bathroom remolded. You should reuse the existing mold. It's cheaper that way. ;)

I like Panasonic fans, but I don't see the point in heating the air up by the ceiling. If you want to do it right, look into installing radiant heat under the floor tile. There are very few things in life that are nicer than stepping barefoot onto a nice warm floor, and none of those other things are legal.

Electric radiant is efficient for small areas, such as your bathroom, and it frees up wall and ceiling space. The only thing you'll see is the thermostat. If you get one of the programmable thermostats you can set it to turn the floor heat on a little while before you get up in the morning so you'll step onto that nice warm floor.

Warmly Yours is a good outfit to work with.

Tim

responding to

stevez wrote: Although likely too late for the original poster, I read this post with interest, since I own one of the Panasonic vent/heaters mentioned here. I do not work in the industry or represent any similar products, but I can highly recommend the Panasonic. I replaced a Nutone model that was getting worn out when I remodeled my hall bathroom. It is not a large room, maybe 5' x

10', with 8' ceil> Hello

Reply to
stevez