Bathroom heater pull cord

A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled", in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the "on" position. Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself? BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:18:19 -0800 (PST), Lino expert

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .
On 25 Jan, 18:14, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks, useful to know it's something that can be done by anyone.

I wouldn't bet on the switch being a replacable part. It's not in the few I've looked in over last ~20 years. I modified a Dimplex one I bought ~20 years ago so the switch operated a contactor, and that's still working fine. That one had plenty of space for the contactor inside as other variants of it had either a light or a shaver transformer inside, and this one just had an empty compartment. In some more recent ones, I make a point of not using the pullcord and switch them on/off at the FCU. The pullcord switches in them seem to have a rather short life.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:33:36 -0800 (PST), Lino expert

Try here http://gwhitedist.co.uk/2.html or here http://www.dimplex.co.uk/corporate_information/aftersale_Service.htm
Stuart
On 25 Jan, 21:31, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks again, very handy...and thanks to the other answerers too.

Wire it through a seperate pull cord switch as used for showers and link out the one in the heater.
John

If it has just gone out of guarantee, you still have a claim against the manufacturer on the basis that the equipment has not lasted it's expected life and therefore is not fit for purpose. I would have thought that such a heater has a ten year life and correspondingly you should be able to reclaim 90% of it's value - or alternatively get a replacement for 10% of its price.
I haven't got the various regulations to hand but I'm sure there will be others coming along who will back me up on this and give chapter and verse.
Rob
In message

If you're willing to take them to the small claims court
--
geoff

That's not necessary . Just quote the SOGA to them and explain that such an item is expected to last a certain amount of time altho' in this particular case we do not know how old the item is .I am sure in the first place a polite letter or e-mail to Dimplex explaining the situation will get a helpful reply