"Drywall"

I was astonished to find Americans actually call plasterboard "drywall" even if it's on a ceiling! So not a wall!

Daft in the first place to say "drywall", as all walls are dry, unless made of mud, which is still dry once it's set.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We do many things backwards. We park our cars in the driveway and drive on the parkways.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reminds me of the time I once got paid a few cents a word to translate English-English into American-English.

Reply to
Frank

not any more, I hope.

Reply to
charles

Because saying 1 and a half by 3 and a half is too long.

Reply to
Hawk

I always thought they called it SheetRock ?.

I still buy 2 by 1, but the blasted stuff sold as PAR (planed all round) is nowhere near 2 x 1.

Reply to
Andrew

And we send shipments by car and cargo by ships.

Reply to
Eric Walker

Mine is 1.25" by 3.75". You can get it in any size you like. But 2 by 4 is a rough idea of the sizing. 2 by 4 for joists, 2 by 2 for drywall (ugh) supports. I've even got some 3 by 8.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Local builder's merchant here sells what I ask for. They have several sizes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Whatever it's called, it's shit. It's powder held together with paper. Use wood for crying out loud. No crumbling, easier to remove, easier to screw things into like a picture frame etc.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine sells by the mm. They quote on the website the precise size it is when you buy it. Why would I want to buy a rough size which may not match what I already have? Your houses must end up really wonky.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

and a lot more expensive.

Reply to
charles

Don't accept inferior products. If you buy something that's supposed to 16 of something, and it's 15, that's not fit for purpose.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Top tip - don't light fires inside your house.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If a job's worth doing....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Your candidates run for office. Ours stand.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yeah, commonly known as the real world, something I suspect Mr Kinsey isn't all that familiar with.

Reply to
Xeno

Since when has the building industry worked to the nearest millimetre? To the nearest 100 millimetres more likely.

Reply to
Xeno

Easier to screw things into plasterboard, you just need the right attachments or, alternatively, ensure you're screwing into a wall stud.

Plenty of drywall screw attachments to choose from as well as drywall toggle cavity fasteners.

Your problem is a lack of real world experience. Only you can fix that!

Reply to
Xeno