Extending a path by mortar/concrete

I need to extend a path sideways. I have place edging along side which in places have left gaps. What is the best product to fill in with? I think that standard mortar will be too weak, whereas concreted would not go into the narrow gaps. Suggestions please.

Reply to
Broadback

How wide is the area you are trying to fill. Use finer aggregate in the concrete ie 10mm instead of 20mm

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If the gap is so narrow that concrete won't even fit into it, I'd expect it to break apart prematurely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

`if the gaps are less than about 20mm I'd just use a stronger mortar mix

- 1:2 or 2:5. And put SBR in if that isn't strong enough.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Wow that is a strong mix:-)

Reply to
ARW

1:2 is actually less strong than 3:1. Portland cement is not particularly strong, so the strongest mix is when it fills the void between packed sand particles.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

a 4:1 sloppy mix ends up as hard as bell metal when it cures.

Reply to
ARW