Window trim finish

A friend had 9 new windows installed in his home. I'm surprised the interior window trims weren't removed, but he was considering replacing them and I suggested simply sanding and repainting, as that's all he wants. Only one sill is fairly bad with dog teeth marks and pits. As long as he wants to repaint them, then sanding and repaint is the best option, which will be done while they are still on the window. Therefore, what are suggestions for fast completion? Using sand paper via orbital sander or by hand with heavy to lighter grit or Using a paint dissolving gel then scrap? Or any other option?

Reply to
Hawk

If this is standard trim, like you can buy at the home store I would just replace it but I have a decent miter saw. I would still buy some extra ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Obviously he just had inserts put in - the down-and dirty cheap-assed way of "replacing" windows. I stripped mine out to the rough opening - and was able to use the good trim around the window with new jams.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If there is lead-based paint on the old trim, I wouldn't sand it.

Reply to
T Maxene Price

Why do they all need to be sanded? If it's just some dog damage on some, use a wood filler on those spots, sand just that as needed, wash of the rest with some cleaner and a sponge and paint.

Reply to
trader_4