CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?)

Hello,

I have an indirectly (?) heated CH/DHW system. There is a boiler, cylinder (hot water tank), pump and two ACL Lifestyle motorised valves.

  1. I drained down the system at the drain tap. When I tried to re- close the system the tap kept on leaking. I took out the whole of the inside of the drain plug and replaced the flat, circular rubber washer having removed the old one. The drain tap still leaks, even though I have tightened it. Any other ideas on how to tackle that?

  1. I replaced a couple of radiators and the CH does not heat. The DHW is fine. The radiators and pump are bled. I can feel scorching hot water from the boiler as it enters the pump. When DHW is set to on, the 22mm pipe below the valve on the DHW cylinder side of the circuit gets hot. The water pipe downstream of the valve on the CH side does not get hot even when the boiler is generating hot water and system set to "on" for CH. I guess this is a valve problem. Anything I can do to check the operation of this valve? Is this an easy part to replace?

  2. One of the radiator valves leaks slightly. The valve has a push fit on the supply and two threaded parts on the body of the valve. One thread screws into the body of the radiator and the second thread connects the body of the valve to the section that screws into the radiator. It is this middle thread that connects the valve to the pipe going into the body of the radiator that leaks. I took the valve apart and saw the thread was fairly "shallow". Also the conection between the two parts was like a "shallow bowl". I cleaned the surfaces and wound a fair amount of PTFE tape around the thread. I reassembled the valve. I hand tightened, then tightened with a wrench as far as I dare. There is still a very slow leak - say one drip every 30 (?) minutes. The way I would describe the leak is that is the water is coming "up and over" the nut rather than "down and around" the nut.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to