Freezers / F.Freezers - mine just died - any recomendations?

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tester

Bekos are rebadges Hotpoints, and I've got a Beko frost free which on a couple of occasions has just mushed along at 0C in the freezer compartment. Its to do with a build up of ice on the heat exchanger. Its easy enough to snap it back into operation ( hairdryer directed into the fanhole at the back of the freezer for 5 minutes ) but I've heard others complain about a similar fault so it might be one to ok out for.

Get an energy class A frost-free freezer is my advice, if they work properly its a great advance on defrosting the freezer and hacking ice out every so often.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

If it lasted 15 years, another of the same brand???

My Hotpoint Iced Diamond is 11 years old and it still looks and performs like new. Quiet + smooth easy to wipe evaporator. One plastic clip broke on the lower inner door flap, replaced last year for a quid or two.

You might consider a frost-free if needed: - though there's more point for fridges over freezers - I defrost only once per year anyway, but your pattern of usage might be different to mine.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I know a number of people with frost free freezers, and I've never regretted not getting one ;-)

My non-frost free seems to need defrosting about every

5 years, which is longer than many frost-free ones will run without something going wrong which wrecks the contents.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

kelkoo.co.uk lets you search on models of fridge/freezer by various options.

Useful for narrowing down.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Liebherr is probably the best on the market...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmmm, we'll see .... The Man From Hotpoint is coming tomorrow to look at our 3-month old Hotpoint Fridge Freezer which no longer fridges (freezer OK tho').

BTW be warned if buying a Hotpoint that the weasels in their marketing department (don't know about other makes) have decided that they can call a machine a 'Frost-Free Fridge Freezer' even if only the Freezer is frost-free. By their terminology you need a _Fully_ Frost Free Fridge Freezer (try saying that with a mouth full of cornflakes :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for the replies - lookin around not many upright freezers today seem a patch on my very old Electrolux. They may be more energy efficient, but the space inside seems much less for almost the same dimensions - a Tardis effect :)

Although frost-free and fridge/freezer seems great, as I have a 3 year old fridge and space for a freezer, I think I will go for a basic freezer and not frost free - nice when things work, but too much to go wrong, especially with a combined FF.

Reply to
tester

Flawed logic unfortunately...

In the vast majority of cases the only thing in common between branded products from 15 years ago and today is the name... the ownership, design, manufacturing and quality will likely have changed massively. Hence, assuming a replacement with the same name will give you the same performance and longetivity is exactly the reason why the brands have changed hands so many times... there's money to be made from the logo alone.

There is a good page at

describing 'whos who'.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

As far as I am aware there's no such thing as a 'frost free' fridge.

Rather, they are 'automatic defrost' insofar that the cooling element is not located inside the fridge compartment but within the back panel. Hence, moist air doesn't come directly into contact with the elements and therefore doesn't freeze on contact. Where it does manage to freeze on the surfaces of the panel inside the fridge it soon melts when the compressor turns off given the >0c temperature inside the fridge.

Are you getting ice buildup in your fridge? If so, it sounds like it's knackered.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Not so much "flawed logic" as "omission of key fact", but you are right, in hindsight. Same with cars - buy a Cheverolet Matiz but you are really to all intents and purposes getting a Daewoo assembled by Vauxhall.

Even long lived names need some care too - Bosch Logixx products are (at the last count anyway) designed and built in Germany whereas their low end stuff is built in Spain. Probably safe with Miele though.

That does make a very interesting read. Didn't realise that Bosch, Siemens and Neff were co-owned.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Amuses me that Bauknecht is a brand my wife loves but she hates Whirlpool.

So sign of smeg in that lot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's a good point... Even once we accept that you can't assume a particular brand is what it appears we've then got to look at indivual ranges!

For what it's worth... As discussed it probably provides little more than being something of interest!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I note that miele's washing machines have a guarantee of 10 years, whereas their fridges have 2 years.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

IMHO, you are particularly lucky if you have space for a chest freezer; in which case don't even think of a fridge-freezer or an upright freezer (if such exists); upright far too easy to leave slightly open, especially if, like me, you visit it mainly after consumption of aperatifs --- though a sensor + alarm device from Maplin, properly sited, does give an adequate and early warning. For me, independence of fridge and freezer is comforting too.

My white goods repair man reckons that frost-free have too many additional things to go wrong --- I pass that on without evaluation. OTOH, when I went to buy a new fridge-freezer last year, the absence of frost-free greatly restricted the choice and appeared not to reduce the price by much.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng