Bench Drill died - any suggestions ?

HI Folks

Last year I bought a Clarke 5-speed bench drill from CPC. (Budget end of things, I know - but should be serviceable, I thought..)

It has been very lightly used since then - probably not more than 1 - 2 hours total use and is installed in a dry, heated workshop.

Just now it has refused to start - the motor buzzes, but it won't spin up to speed. When it was running a few moments before there was a slight 'roughness' in the sound of the motor - and, perhaps, a slight 'electric' smell - but, at the time it was running very lightly loaded - so I don;t think I'd have 'cooked' it.

The official warranty is for 12 months (so that expired in April!) - so any suggestions as to anything I could check to maybe get it working again, please ? It has a 'two-button' NVR start-stop switch...

I've contacted CPC and Clarke via email - but I'm not holding my breath

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

When it's buzzing, give the motor a tweak by hand. If it then runs, it's an induction motor and the starting capacitor has blown. If it doesn't, the brushes may have stuck or something.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks for the suggestion. No - 'helping' the motor doesn't make it start....

So - take a look at the brushes, do you think ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

on 02/09/2009, Bob Mannix supposed :

They are not, so far as I know, a capacitor start motor, nor have they any brushes - just a straight DOL induction motor.

I have one similar if not the same. Try taking the drive belt off and see if the motor runs without the belt. Is the buzzing definitely coming from the motor, rather than the NVR's coil? If from the NVR, it could be that some dirt or etc. is preventing it closing fully.

I seem to remember there is an interlock on the belt drive cover, to prevent it running with the belt exposed.

If you are still stuck, keep in mind that the 12 month limit on the guarantee means nothing much. The law now allows you to return faulty goods up to six years after purchase, 2 hours use is not what a reasonable person would expect from such an item.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Pretty well all the low end ones I've seen have induction motors - less gearing required. And regardless of it being a budget one should be expected to last longer than a year.

I have a B&Q cheapy (painted green) bought many years ago which still works just fine. And it gets heavy DIY use.

This is the smallest one on the Clarke site - and it definitely looks to have an induction motor - and to have come from the same factory as mine.

Dave Plowman (News)

That's the one - so induction motor == no brushes ??

(sorry for my ignorance!)

All is not lost - I can go back the the ancient B&D-mounted-in-a-drill-press arrangement for the time being - just kind of annoying when something breaks after so little use...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Sue them. The warranty is irrelevant. It was not of merchantable quality.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Adrian Brentnall submitted this idea :

So take it back, tell them you have only had two hours use out of it and you can expect them to either repair it, replace it or refund you less the value of the use you have had out of it. If necessary, quote the SOG act at them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fine in theory - but not so great when you're out here in the far south-west of Ireland... and it was couriered here by CPC from the UK

I've a feeling that they'll say 'sure - return it to us and we'll replace it - but seeing as it weighs 18kg - that'd cost more than buying a new one!

I did just take another look - the motor will start & run with the pulley-belt removed.

With the belt reinstalled, and the tension set to the slackest possible, the drill will 'just about' start - but never gets anywhere near to full speed speed and can be stalled with the lightest of finger-pressure against the chuck.

Think it's broken!

Still no news from CPC or Clarke...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I am sure its an induction motor, but I would be very surprised if it did not have a start cap.

Yup, I think this is an elf'n'safety requirement.

Indeed - although you may have to spend some time arguing the case with the merchant.

Reply to
John Rumm

...assuming he bought it from CPC as an individual, rather than a business...

Reply to
Toby

Adrian Brentnall explained on 02/09/2009 :

Sorry, didn't realise. Your local laws may also be different.

A final check would be to make sure the motor has the full mains voltage at its terminals, before condemning it completely.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As a sole trader am I an individual or a business as I use the same credit card for my transactions - how would anybody decide?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Correct. Induction motors are larger and less powerful than a brush motor

- but run at a lower speed so better for this purpose. They should also have a *very* long life.

Absolutely. I wish you luck with CPC, though - I had no success with an out of warranty claim. You might do better with Clarke - their website says they do actually repair things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's an item bought for use in the course of your business then it would be a business sale.

Using the same credit card for business and personal things must really please your accountant :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks Dave - I've contacted both CPC and Clarke by email - waiting on a reply from both....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

No problem - good point about local SOGA.....

That's a thought - might have a look later...

Thanks

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

If without the belt on it spins up to full speed, and then it has torque

- that would still point to a starting cap failure. If at speed it still lacks torque then it could be a supply problem or a damaged winding.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd try writing to the MD if you get no luck. Or better still faxing. Emails rarely get to anyone in charge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's easy enough to test the capacitor if you can disconnect it. Can you read off the value of it (should be stamped on the motor rating plate)? If it let out a smell when it died, it may be obviously dead anyway when you get access to it.

Mine is a 510W motor and the plate claims it has a 75uF capacitor for

240V operation (or 12uF for 415V operation, but I'm not doing that). The website David identified shows a 250W model.

Actually, I just went to look, and found that mine has two capacitors attached to the motor, which got me curious. I removed the cover from the first one, and sure enough it is a 75uF capacitor. So I looked in the second one, and find it has the 12uF capacitor for 415V operation. Not sure if they are start or start and run capacitors. (I'd already put the covers back on before I thought to check that.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel