Floor mounted pillar drills?

Hi All,

I am in the market for a lightish duty (more 'little and often' than 'continuous' use) floor mounted pillar drill. I would prefer to spend as little as necessary to get something useable.

I've looked at Machine Mart, Axminster and eBay and there seems to be quite a lot of choice, but in some cases I can't easily spot those things that may be of real value (to me).

Like, I would like at least a 13mm chuck but bigger could be better.

A 1m chuck to bed / base height would be good as well (I need 650mm for my current project).

I don't think I need a million speeds as I'm happy to take my time so don't need to push anything to the limits.

I noticed the Axminister 'Hobby' drill:

Gives all sorts of flexibility on the head angle but does that sort of flexibility only add to issues re keeping everything plumb and square (etc)? If all that flexibility makes it less accurate / durable when it's not needed, will I regret buying such later on (like bench vices that swivel that then swivel when you don't want them to)?

As usual, all thoughts welcomed. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I bought the Rexon DP3800 from Screwfix some years ago, when it was on special offer. Has worked OK for me and I understand that Rexon are the world's largest hobby drill manufacture. Don't like the friction chuck however, I prefer keyed ones.

Reply to
Capitol

Interesting. I think my mate uses mainly Rexon on his modeling size tools.

As do I generally, except for good ones on battery drills etc.

If you look at the reviews for some of the Clarke ones (for example) on the MM site they do seem to draw less than glowing reviews.

Now, I've had a 'cheapo' pillar drill for over 30 years and it's never let me down (so far) but maybe I don't expect as much, or push such tools as hard as some? That said, I have stalled the motor a few times, as bigger bits catch in jobs etc but I look at that as a safety feature, not a sign that the motor is underpowered. ;-)

I'm still looking about, possibly considering an older one.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Re big drills. Check if the one you buy has a Morse taper chuck. If so, the chuck can be removed and drills with morse taper shanks fitted.

'Twas once traditional but many don't have it now.

Reply to
harry

Tim , Consider a bench one mounted on the end of the bench so you can swing the head round 90 degrees. You can then rest the work on the floor, workmate, boxes etc etc when you need drill into a larger workpiece.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I recently used a Bosch PBD40 and was very impressed. I've already got an old (Meddings?) floor-standing drill but would probably go for the Bosch if I was in the market.

Reply to
no_spam

Is the bosch an induction motor machine? the description I read is not clear. If it is the usual brush motor then it is very overpriced IMHO.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It has a continuously variable speed control (plus gearbox) so I assumed it had a DC motor, but all I did was use it for a week during a course. The depth read-out was useful, as were the laser sight, work clamp and light.

Reply to
no_spam

What is your objection to friction chucks, I tossed the keyed one and got an industrial grade hand operated one which is the best thing since sliced bread, never slips even on the largest drills. I can remember having to hit key with a hammer on the old one, to get it tight (granted the quality of the keyed one was not much,but it came with the drill. I think the trick with the hand one is to get industrial grade.

Reply to
F Murtz

You may well be right, or just get lucky re the chuck that comes with your drill?

I bought a De Walt a long time ago and it came with a keyless chuck. That was my second keyless on a hand drill, the first on another drill was replaced with a keyed when it would come undone now and again.

The first job I did with the DeWalt was to drill some holes in some thin sheet steel using a stepped drill. That worked ok till I came to get the bit out and out and couldn't. Long - short, I took it back to the shop and *eventually* they managed to get it undone but only after mullering the chuck up with a pipe wrench and the bench vise.

They fitted me a std keyed chuck and that was fine ever since. ;-)

I bought a cheap battery drill from the market and apart from the nicads dying over time, the drill and keyless chuck have been fine. I did have to rebuild the chuck release ring as it was only made of plastic and eventually started to spin. I turned a support ring and glued it all back together and that is now also fine.

I got my first one handed keyless chuck on a Stanley Li drill and apart from the chuck having a slight wobble (a common issue on those drills apparently) it seems to work ok. It does come undone if you don't do it up reasonably tight when you release the trigger quickly and the auto-lock comes in.

I don't know that I would want a keyless chuck on a pillar drill for all sorts of reasons. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I used the term 'pillar drill' (along with 'drill press') when IM'ing a mate in The States recently and he said he had never heard the term 'pillar drill'. Am I right in thinking that is what we generally call them over here (UK)? (although I also know they can also be called 'drill presses').

Reply to
T i m