Central AC Condenser Fan Running Slow

Figures when it's 92, the AC would quit. System was still running, but the air was no longer cold. It's a Rheem, 5 ton,

4 years old. Upon checking, it seemed the fan on the outside condenser unit was running slower than normal and the air exiting was warmer than normal. But since I don't look at it every day, I wasn't sure.

So, I turned it off for half an hour, then back on and went outside immediately. The fan was running at full warp speed now, then after about 30 secs, it went to the slower speed that I had seen before. Luckily I had gotten out there in time to catch it. So, clearly the fan starts up normal, the quickly goes to running slow for some reason. Nothing is blocking/touching it. It's also just a single stage unit, so the fan has only I speed. I haven't pulled out the schematic yet. Ideas? Do these typically have a run capacitor or just a start capacitor? If so, maybe the run cap? Or could be a bad motor. Any ideas guys on how to diagnose? I guess they don't build them like they used to......

Reply to
trader_4

I had a Rheem unit where I worked and that's how it worked normally. And 5 tons! Do you ever get the humidity out...it seems you would short-cycle and cool-down too fast?

Reply to
bob_villa

Is that a single or two phase compressor?

Reply to
Wa1t 0akley