KVM switch

I have a KVM switch to allow me to share things with this computer and the PC. Operated by pressing scroll lock twice then an arrow key. Bought a new keyboard - no scroll lock key. Bastards. Is there any other sequence that would imitate the one I need?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sometimes

sometimes SysRq

but is there no Fn key combination on the new keyboard that gives you Scroll Lock?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No

Dunno what that is.

Not that I can find. The manual makes no mention of scroll lock. It is possible to programme some of the keys - but I need it to work with both computers not just the PC. So just need standard key functions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

See PrtScrn key

What make/model KVM is it? I foresee another keyboard purchase ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You made me look at my new (laptop) keyboard. The [Home] key says 'scroll' in smaller letters - maybe in conjunction with some function, accelerator or shift key.

(That certainly seems to be how my [page up] (pause) and [page down] (break) keys work.)

Reply to
Rod

What keyboard is it?

Reply to
Malcolm

It's a Belkin. The added complication is the combination has to be PS2 for the Acorn computer. USB support on that is flakey. Both the old and new keyboard/mouse are Logitech wireless. The 'old' combination - Logitech S510 - works flawlessly, but the printing on many of the keys has worn off and I don't touch type reliably. The new one is a Logitech EX 110 which also works fine - except it can't operate the switch. I have an older Belkin KVM with a manual switch - and that sometimes made the mouse go bananas, although now works fine on the workshop setup which has a wired keyboard.

I bought a different make KVM switch off Ebay that used a different keystroke to switch and that wouldn't switch the mouse and keyboard - only the monitor. The vendor took it back and tested it - said it was fine - but refunded anyway.

Complicated or what? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think it is this one - what are the three black keys above the numeric keypad labelled (i assume none of them operates the KVM)?

Malcolm

Print Screen, Pause/Break. So just the Scroll Lock missing. I assume it needs the correct code from the keystrokes to operate it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sadly there's not much choice for a PS2/VGA KVM. I did buy another make off Ebay - and that didn't work either. It would only switch the monitor. But strangely worked all the time with the Acorn - just wouldn't switch so it linked to the XP PC regardless of input connections - even with the Acorn disconnected. It's all a mystery to me...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get replacement keyboard stickers from =A35.

learn to touchtype :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An email to Logitech support may be your best bet. There is probably a way to get the same effect as pressing the old scroll lock. I've also got the Belkin. I have a vague recollection of being able to change the key sequence but I cannot lay my hands on the instructions now. Come to think of it, you could ask that question of Belkin.

Reply to
Keith W

some with my labeller. But not robust enough. I've got lots of ancient keyboards around where the symbols are still fine - engraved rather than printed. I'd guess the ones above are printed so won't last forever either.

Old dog, unfortunately. Some things I just know I'll never learn. That's one of them. Plastering and welding are two of the others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

work I'll get back to you. But would rather not have a mechanical switch.

Sadly Virtual RPC would mean relying on the PC - and this Acorn just goes on and on. Unlike my PCs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably. Could you DIY engrave and paintfill the keys with a Dremel or similar?

Mmm. I think I'm going to have to ask my library if they can get "Facebook for Thirty-Nine-Year-Olds" because it's all passed me by.

Owain

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

MiG is easy peasy (it must be - I'm quite good on 1-5mm steel!).

But I agree on the other two. I've tried on and off to learn touch typing (being a sysadmin) and it's always bored the pants off me enough to give up after 1 day.

Plastering - well, I can splat it on flat and Dulux Matt and subtle lighting sorts the rest out ;->

Reply to
Tim S

Not neatly enough for something you look at a fair amount, no. And keyboards are cheap enough not to bother.

I'll try and learn something if I can see a benefit. But I can type quite quickly using two fingers and glancing between keyboard and screen - or at least as fast as my brain works. Although I do admire the speed kids can 'text' just using a thumb. Not that I see any benefit in texting. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could just be I've got a crap MIG - it's a SIP Turbo 150. Bought on Practical Classic's recommendation. Trouble is I always want to do butt welds in car bodywork.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More likely you're using the wrong gas. MIG uses an inert gas, which CO2 isn't ("MIG" welding with CO2 is MAGS, but not MIG). Put an argon mix in there and it improves dramatically.

I wouldn't recommend SIP, but so long as the wire feeds reliably, there's not that much to choose between welding sets.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There seems to be a way of doing it by using a temporary keyboard and the logitech key assignment program. This is taken from a 2006 thread which Logitech eventually replied to in 2008! I have copied their reply below and think the last method (option 2) would work.

Quote:- ...................... Why did Logitech remove Scroll Lock from some of its newer keyboards?

Historically, Scroll Lock is used much less today than in the past. And if enabled by accident, Scroll Lock can cause issues in certain applications, such as Microsoft Excel. If a user does not know how to disable Scroll Lock, only rebooting the PC can do so. Based on a recent study, we learned that Scroll Lock is among the top 5 least used keys. Logitech therefore decided to remove Scroll Lock from the following keyboards:

  • Cordless Desktop EX 100 * Cordless Desktop EX 110 * Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser. * diNovo Media Desktop * diNovo Media Desktop Laser * diNovo Cordless Desktop for Notebooks * Access Keyboard 600 (this is the only corded keyboard without SLK).

All other Logitech keyboards have the SLK key or the SLK key combo of FN + Pause/Break.

Removing Scroll Lock was done to make these keyboards more user-friendly to the majority of users. However we now realize there are more users in need of Scroll Lock than anticipated. Therefore Logitech has decided to reinstate Scroll Lock (as FN + Pause/Break) on all future keyboards. We are not doing this however to support KVM switch use.

There are two options for those Windows users in need of a Scroll Lock function for the previously listed keyboards.

Option 1. (For Windows XP only, and SetPoint does not have to be installed.)

Go to Start ? All Programs ? Accessories ? Accessibility ? On-Screen Keyboard. Toggle the on-screen keyboard?s ?slk? key to switch Scroll Lock On/Off with the mouse left click button. The screen will show Scroll Lock ON or Scroll Lock OFF.

In addition, the On-Screen Keyboard can be assigned to a hotkey in SetPoint. For this SetPoint must be installed. To assign the On-Screen Keyboard to a hotkey:

  1. Open SetPoint and click on the ?My Keyboard? tab. 2. Select the hotkey you want to assign the On-Screen Keyboard to, such as Home or Search. 3. Under ?Select Task?, select ?Launch Program?. The option ?Select Program? will appear. 4. Under ?Select Program?, type osk.exe in the Program box. 5. Click on OK to save and close the SetPoint window.

When you press the hotkey, the On-Screen Keyboard will appear and you may toggle Scroll Lock on and off as previously stated. The screen will show the ON/OFF status.

Option 2. (For all Windows and SetPoint must be installed)

  1. The keyboard needing the scroll lock function must be connected to the PC. 2. Temporarily connect another keyboard which has a Scroll Lock key. (The temporary keyboard does not have to be recognized by SetPoint). 3. Open SetPoint and click on the ?My Keyboard? tab. (If more than one keyboard is listed under My Keyboard, be sure to select the keyboard you wish to assign the Scroll Lock function to.) 4. Select the hotkey you want to use as Scroll Lock, such as Home or Search. 5. Under Select Task, select ?Keystroke Assignment.? 6. Click in the ?Specify Keystroke box to make sure the cursor is blinking. 7. Press the Scroll Lock key on the temporary keyboard. 8. Click OK on the SetPoint window to save the setting and close the window. 9. Disconnect the temporary keyboard.

When you press the hotkey the screen will show Scroll Lock ON or Scroll Lock OFF.

Note: These two options may work with some KVM switches, but not all. The reason Logitech does not support KVM switches is because of the many different types available which require differing switching methods. These devices are not standardized which is why some key-stroke solutions work with some KVM?s but not others. Logitech will therefore continue to not support the use of KVM switches with our products, including those with SLK key or SLK key combo of FN+ Pause/break. ..............................

end quote

Reply to
Geo