switch with indicator light - no neutral

I want a light switch with an indicator light. All I can find needs a neutral. My switch only has hot wire. Any such switch that works with only hot wire? This is 220 V. Thanks.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

replying to Oumati Asami, Iggy wrote: There's no 220v switches, lighted or not, that I know of. Your best bet is to use one of these indicator lights (

) in-line somewhere and mounted in a single-gang box with a cover plate that you drilled for the indicator.

Reply to
Iggy

My bet is he is not in the US, expand your horizons. In New Zealand, 220v lighted switches are everywhere. Typically lighted switches were lit through the load but about 15 years ago NFPA and the testing labs suddenly decided "off" was not really off since there was still current flowing in the circuit and these switches were delisted. Previously the acceptable current was around a half an MA (500 microamps). In the last couple of cycles the NEC requires a neutral be brought to all switching locations, just for this reason.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And copper companies made millions!

Reply to
Massoud

Interesting, I didn't know they used to allow using the load for the indicator light. I thought of that, I was ready to say it could be done, but then thought about the obvious problem, the load side is always energized through the indicator light, even when the switch is off. Figured it wasn't really safe.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to gfretwell, Iggy wrote: No, I get it, but that only makes it more confusing when he's got no Common/Neutral in place. Therefore, why the in-line Indicator Light is the only way to go. I know some things about the NEC, especially their "consultants", are more than a bit flakey, but they can't be that dumb. Electricity doesn't turn around and walk back to the panel if it's not needed. I had no trouble finding these indicator switches

Iggy

They're double pole switches.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What's the danger?

Reply to
Oumati Asami

replying to Dean Hoffman, Iggy wrote: Does that matter? Their single pole or 1-ways AND 2-ways (as they call them) separate the hots/live-wires (L1 & L2) and switch by way of the common/neutral. Largely, their switches are nothing but Switched Junction boxes.

Very odd, very unsafe and colors actually mean almost nothing and are changed on a whim to suit whatever, especially the old colors that were used. Most every example I've seen has the neutral the same exact color as the hot wires...yippy, all reds or all browns or all blacks in EVERY hole! Good thing they changed colors, I guess.

Reply to
Iggy

Why can't you homeowners pe>reply>There's no 220v switches, lighted or not, that I know of. Your best bet is to

That's a nice light but he'll still need a a ground, right?

OP, if you own this place and if the switch is on the first floor above an unfinished basement, or on the to floor under an unfinished attic, tmaybe you can run another wire, a ground wire. They sell 6 foot flexible drill bits to help people do this.

Reply to
micky

So maybe he could find a second-hand switch that would work.

Reply to
micky