light switch sticking

I have a light switch on my wall that hasn't been used for ages. It's like the one here:

It switches on okay, but it seems to jam when trying to switch it off and needs a lot of pressure from my finger to push the switch in.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
David

Replace it

Reply to
RBM

a lot of

It's worn out. Just replace it with a new switch.

Reply to
Abe

Replace it at your earliest convenience. These are the little things that burn down people's houses.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Light switches are not considered a repairable item. They are cheap enough that you can just buy a new one. Look carefully at the old hook up and do the new one the same way. It is a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty. 1 would be pouring a glass of water.

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
dougfollett

Agree. A replacement costs about 79 Canadian cents (including sales tax!) (That's about 65 cents US, or about 33 UK pence!) Always good idea to have a couple of spare switches on hand. A faulty switch overheating at the start of a bank-holiday weekend not comfortable; just when you were planning to visit Auntie Mabel at Bournemouth and no 'electricians' available or even answering their phones! If switch has two wires attached to it it's simpler than if it's got three wires. So make sure the replacement has identical connections; cos the OP did not say how/or for what the switch is used. Switch off the power; note existing wire connections before removing any of them and have at it. If confused by anything, not 'electrically minded' or "It won't work", leave the circuit switched off at the CU (main breaker panel) and get competent help. Better than a 230 volt fire in a wall and insurance companies are not impressed by incorrect electrical work!

Reply to
Terry