Need to enlarge hole for replacement doorknob

My mom needs her bedroom door knob replaced. She tried to do it herself & wound up losing all the packaging, including instructions & template.

I have very limited tools, basically a drill attachment kit & a cordless drill. Purchasing any additional tools is not an option.

I am also unable to remove the door from the hinges.

Here's the link to an Imgur post which will show you what tools I've got available.

Thank you for your help!

Reply to
tckkitty

REAL simple. Use hole saw to make a "plug" to fit the existing hole. Use the "plug" to pilot the bigger hole saw required fir the new latch.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You don't say which hole you need to enlarge, but I'll guess that it's the one(s) on the face, not the edge where the latch comes through.

If that's the case, and one of those hole saws is the correct size for the new hole, use the hole saw and drill a hole in a scrap piece of wood. That will create a template/guide that you can clamp to the door to use as a guide for the hole saw when you drill the door.

Clamp a undrilled scrape of wood to the opposite side so that your hole saw does not punch through the door and cause it to tear out the opposite face.

Yes, you will have to buy (or borrow) a couple of clamps to secure the template and backer board.

If it's the latch hole that you have to enlarge, you can basically do the same thing with a spade bit. Make that template by screwing 2 boards at a right angle so you clamp it to the face while you drill the edge.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Go buy another doorknob and carefully open the pacakage and borrow the template. When finished, put it all back in the package and return it to the store. BTW it wont have to be the exact same knob as most templates are the same. You might be able to find a printable template online.

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
SJones

template. When finished, put it all back in the package and > return it to the store.

I hate people like you. Seriously.

I buy 3-4 knobs for a house and find out that some dishonest thief has "bor rowed" the parts/pieces of a product, and "carefully" replaced anything the y could to get their money back. Doing "carefully" isn't really stealing, right?

I get the knobs (or other product out to the job) and find that a careful r epackager has dropped or lost a small piece of the product rendering it unu sable or inoperable. They might not have noticed. Or maybe they dropped on e of the pieces they didn't use (like the knob) and "carefully" repackaged it with a dent or scratch towards the back where it can't be readily seen.

I have to take the product back that is damaged or has missing pieces and t ry to get my money back. A wasted trip for me, time chewed up during the b usiness day, maybe a guy waiting on the items can't finish his work that da y, and the possibility the vendor won't take back the product BECAUSE IT IS DAMAGED OR HAS MISSING PIECES.

Screw you.

same. You might be able to find a printable template online. More poor advice from an idiot. Of course the templates are online. How d oes that help? I hole saw set like he has won't work unless he makes a pat tern or guide himself. Standard holes for interior locksets are 2 1/8", no t a standard size in a pile of hole saws like he has. He also needs a 15/16 " hole saw for the plunger/tongue as on that type of lock the existing size is probably 3/4". How can he drill that without a template or guide? His hole saw will have its guide bit in thin air without a guide of some sort, no help from a stolen template. Excuse me, "carefully borrowed" template.

The original poster needs this or something like it:

At ten bucks, it isn't worth "borrowing" and will actually get the job done right. Standard backset pattern drill guide for both holes, and both bits .

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

BRAVO, SIR!!!