Enlarge a hole in studs

I have a series of 2x6 studs that I have drilled two inches holes to pass PVC pipes across. However I did not realize a 2" hole saw does not make a hole large enough for a 2" pipe because the 2" is nominal and not outer diameter.

Now I need to enlarge the hole by about 1/2". My hole saw is not deep enough to cut a 2x, so previously I cut from both ends and made the cut. Now that the middle is hollow how can I make a 2.5" hole from a 2" hole?

One solution I think that may work, is to find another piece of 2x and cut a

2" hole, and use the circular wood plug from the cut and insert that into the 2" hole, and use that to make the 2.5" hole. May be there is a better way?

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I'd probably just hog out enough w/ the sawzall to get 'em thru and go on.

--

Reply to
dpb

how about cutting a @ 2 1/2 inch in a piece of 2x4 and screwing that over the center of the 2 inch hole, and using the 2 1/2 inch hole as a guide..

Reply to
nefletch

And if the wall is load-bearing, even slightly (like if shelves will be hung off it), I'd add blocking and maybe even a layer of plywood under the drywall. That is almost half the cross-section of the stud.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sounds more like amputation than surgery. =3D:O

RicodJour

This is the standard way of enlarging a hole. I use scrap 3/4" plywood as it's less likely to create problems of depth, you can use the ubiquitous 1 1/4" drywall screws to attach it, and the plywood won't split with repeated use.

RicodJour

I had a similar problem 3 weeks ago. The "rotozip" made short work of it - along with setting off the smoke alarm.

Reply to
clare

It is not load bearing but I will reinforce it anyways.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Ahhh good idea! Thanks!

Reply to
MiamiCuse

This is the standard way of enlarging a hole. I use scrap 3/4" plywood as it's less likely to create problems of depth, you can use the ubiquitous 1 1/4" drywall screws to attach it, and the plywood won't split with repeated use.

Even better! Problem solved! Thanks RicodJour.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

And if oyu want to do the "plywood guide thing" AND reinforce the studs.......

slap on a pre-drilled piece on plywood on one side & a non-drilled piec of plywood on the other side.

Make the pieces of plywood ~5.5 x ~14". Center the drilled over the old hole (or where ever). glue & screw the plywood to the stud and cut the holes.

You're done & the studs are reinforced as well. :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Or our friends at Lee Valley have this:

Doug Brown

Not so neat hole, use the sawzall.

Neat hole, router (if room)...a 1/2" bit with 1/4 shank bit can do it by extending the cutter partially through the hole so you can use the shank to guide on the existing hole; after doing that, use a 1/4" cutter from the opposite side (or bottom bearing flush trim bit from the same side) and guide the shank on the enlarged portion of the hole to trim the rest of the hole to size.

Reply to
dadiOH

Not as bad as aem makes it sound-- that's why start w/ 2x6 studs for wet walls. Even if take 2-1/2" out you're still only roughly 1/2" shy of full-dimension 2x4 and you give that no second thought at all. For interior fill-in wall you'll never know the difference. Only thing you may want/need will be the nailing protection covers to ensure don't nail into it during later construction.

Reply to
dpb

Yeppers...it's only a hole to get a piece of pipe thru that will be covered up anyway. No sense in making a monumental effort here; spend the time and effort where it'll make a noticeable (and useful) difference.

--

Reply to
dpb

That's pretty funny, and could be very useful. Since it uses the original hole, if the center is off you won't be able to tweak the final hole location. Still, it's a fast and cheap way to fix most such things.

RicodJour

I don't use holes saw too often so I have a question about this line from the website:

"...mandrel is threaded to accept saws with 1/2" and 5/8" diameter mounting holes."

The hole saws listed at the Lee valley site don't say anything about the mounting hole size, but based on the description of the 2 mandrels, it appears that they all have the same size mounting hole.

Does that mean I could buy the Opps Arbor from Lee valley, but would have to find hole saws with the correct size mounting holes from some other source?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Only the ones with which you usually make your mistakes. ;)

I hadn't picked up on the different thread size requirement. That cuts way down on the cheapness and convenience quotients.

In any event, that double mounting arbor is interesting, but I'd REALLY like to see something that would let you drill a smaller hole after you drilled one too big. Similar to the 2x4 extender attachment on my circular saw.

RicodJour

re: I'd REALLY like to see something that would let you drill a smaller hole after you drilled one too big.

DerbyDad03

Sorry...bad link...

DerbyDad03