How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

I need to cut a 4" round hole in a soffit, from underneath, while standing on a ladder. The soffit is not horizontal, it slants upward from the gutter towards the house.

We may have some access to the soffit from above, perhaps enough to drive a screw through with a right angle drill to locate the position on the outside, but I don't think I have enough room to get a jig saw in there.

My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor for this one hole, so I'm looking for creative suggestions from this fine group.

I'm think that I don't want to use a router, upside down, while standing on a 28' ladder. I'm not even sure a jig saw will be that easy to use.

The hole will be covered with the cover shown at the link below, so it doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to feed (and attach) a 4" aluminum elbow to the hole.

Maybe just a series of holes drilled in a circular pattern will be good enough, but I'd prefer soemthing a bit neater.

Suggestions?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My suggestion is a cheaper hole saw, since it's a one-off project:

Standing on a 28' ladder, working overhead on a slanted surface, I'd not risk my neck trying to save a couple of dollars by using the wrong tool. So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.

Reply to
Smitty Two

On 10/1/2012 9:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Surely you already have a holesaw arbor???

The 4" holesaw shouldn't be but $15 or so even at the local Ace; if you have a HF it's probably half of that or less...a 3-piece set of large sizes is $20 or there's bound to be a bargain-tool bin around various outlets...

Of course, the few pilot holes and a keyhole saw works...or a small trim router wouldn't be too hard to handle or even one of the multi-tools.

--

Reply to
dpb

Project is tonight...no time order any tools.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, I don't have a hole saw arbor. The very few round holes I've needed to cut have always been small enough that no arbor was needed. However, a friend has a hole saw kit that goes up to 3 1/2". Maybe I could use his arbor and just buy the 4" holesaw. Are arbors brand- specific or generic?

I do however have a set of keyhole saws so I'll bring those along.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it's going to be covered by a plate or cover of some type (and it would need to be unless you want to make another post asking about how to get rid of pests from the attic), a circular drill pattern would work, but I'd just spend the $15 at HF and buy the set of hole saws.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need to use the RIGHT tools!

I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be a LOT more expensive that what you would save not using the correct tools.

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and the electric drill starts to turn your body in a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)
Reply to
Bill

The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12 w/coupon.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 10/1/2012 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

That haven't ever had need for holesaw seems most unusual but guess everybody has done different stuff...

Anyway, the inexpensive arbors are standard w/ some exceptions--in all likelihood his will work.

One thing since apparently you've not used one before--a large diameter holesaw can exert a _LOT_ of torque and on a ladder it's going to be pretty spooky as well...whatever you do, be prepared to let go; don't even think of locking the power level...

Drill a few practice holes on the ground first (and trying one overhead wouldn't be a bad idea, either) to get a feel; you may change your mind and go back to the holes and keyhole saw after you do...

--

Reply to
dpb

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion-- I was just in my hole saw drawer the other day and I have 4 arbors.

-snip-

Amen-- and drill that hole all the way through the same material as the soffit-- and do it at a slight angle like you're liable to have off the ladder.

Take it slow. . . .

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Call your local tool rental places to see who can rent you a 4" hole saw

Reply to
Atila Iskander

$13 for a kit includes 4"

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Back off the pressure and take my finger off the trigger is what I do Works every time.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

$12 at HF. Just picked up a set...and got a free flashlight!. Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I guess I should have said what I said differently. I've used large hole saws before, but I've always been able to use someone else's. I've not needed them often enough to buy one. In this instance, we have to get the job done tonight and I have not been able to put my hands on anything larger then 3 1/2" with such short notice.

Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Holesaw cheaper than ambulance ride, and six weeks off the job?

.

Standing on a 28' ladder, working overhead on a slanted surface, I'd not risk my neck trying to save a couple of dollars by using the wrong tool. So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hole saw cheaper than ambulance. Call the local hardware stores, and see if you can rent one. But, that one will probably be dull.

.

[...]

I got some HF metal cutting hole saws -- totaly useless. You may do better with one from HD or L.

.

The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12 w/coupon.

Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wobble the drill around, a lot. This will make the drilling easier, and also make the saw cut wider. So, the wood plug comes out a lot easier.

.

-snip-

Amen-- and drill that hole all the way through the same material as the soffit-- and do it at a slight angle like you're liable to have off the ladder.

Take it slow. . . .

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hope it actually drills. I've had HF hole saws which were useless.

.