How to cut round hole in metal siding?

If you know an electrician that has a hole punch , use it. That is a device where you bore a small hole and put a bolt through it. On one side is a cup and the other side of the metel is placed a cutter and you just take a wrench and screw the bolt to cut the hole.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

on 6/11/2015, Ralph Mowery supposed :

I have one here on my desk but I am in Sydney Australia. :-?

Try HD or Lowes fo a metal cutting hole saw.

Reply to
John G

Get either a bimetal or carbide toothed hole saw of the proper diameter. Remove your sill c*ck as you've outlined, hang the siding and cut the hole. It's siding, not armor plate. A new saw of either kind will make it through. You're looking at maybe $20 if you need the arbor, 2/3rds of that if you already have one.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'd use a metal cutting hole saw. I have no idea why it would be ruined on one hole of thin material

Alternative is a Greenlee punch if you can borrow one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm putting on some metal siding which comes in 3' wide sheets. (Ribbed Pole Barn steel). There is a garden hose faucet there. My thought is to shut off the water, unscrew the faucet, leaving just the pipe. But lining up that pipe, while insuring the steel is properly lined up, could be real tricky. Fortunately there is a coupler in the pipe only about 16" inside, so I could remove that piece of pipe too. Then install the siding, and cut the hole from the inside. (the pipe is 3/4" steel, but is connected to plastic pipe, so I can move it slightly). My question is how to cut that hole. Should I just use a hole saw, which will pretty much ruin the saw, or is there another method or tool?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Is that siding or battle ship armor? Shouldn't kill a metal cutting hole saw. I like the idea of cut from the inside. Clever.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How good a shot are you? ...

Since You Axed

Bi-metal hole saw or a knockout punch

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't you have a liquid-solid modem? Probably not. They're about $650 USA now, but they'll probably come down.

Reply to
Micky

Thank you. I have some of those hole punches. I never thought to use them for this, since it's not electrical. Thats where this newsgroup comes in handy! I have a 1/2" and a 3/4" knockout size. The 3/4" should do the trick. If its a little tight, a half round file will fix that.

Reply to
Paintedcow